Coolant on the floor!

Trumpertantrumike

.060 Over
Ride
'08 RT, '07 TBA
So I store my R3T in a cargo trailer (as I have no garage) during the Winter months. I charge it, start it up and get her warm from time to time. The last time was about 2 weeks ago(nothing unusual at that time). Today I was going to go for a short ride and when I pulled the ramp door down, I noticed there was a wet area on the kickstand board about two feet long and four inches wide. I backed her out of the trailer, checked the level in the overflow tank..slightly low, checked inside the radiator..it was full. Started her up, drip drip drip. It appeared to be originating about an inch from about an inch from the top of the radiator(middle fins) and drizzling down.
Anyhow, I let it get warm, and the dripping appeared to stop. I pulled her back into the trailer turned the k.s. board around, and turned off the machine. After about fifteen minutes I checked it...no new dripping. Started it, and warmed it again, shut it down and let it sit for a while...a new small drip patch (size of a silver dollar). It seems odd that a leak would develop just from sitting. Low miles on machine.
I installed Samco hoses(w/new, correct coolant) last year, so am assuming they are ok and appear to be.
Question....has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to pressure test this system? Should I take it to the shop?
Replies and tips appreciated!

I have a couple of air cooled H-Ds in my trailer, I stored them there during the winter. I opened the trailer last weekend to put another bike in and noticed a wet spot? I thought that was odd as the 2 bikes are air cooled and perhaps it was oil. We all know H-Ds leaked like sieves. Sure enough it was water. Couldn't figure it out until I looked up and notice a very small crack in the roof vent. Went out during the week on a rainy day and sure enough the vent had a very small leak in it. Just throwing it out there. Or its a radiator leak. If it is a tiny little crack or hole it may stop leaking for a short time when it gets hot as metal expands. But once the cooling system builds up a few pounds of pressure you will see the coolant come out. Double check the clamps on the upper hose. It is a 2008 so perhaps the radiator has an issue. Good luck.

I have a couple of air cooled H-Ds in my trailer, I stored them there during the winter. I opened the trailer last weekend to put another bike in and noticed a wet spot? I thought that was odd as the 2 bikes are air cooled and perhaps it was oil. We all know H-Ds leaked like sieves. Sure enough it was water. Couldn't figure it out until I looked up and notice a very small crack in the roof vent. Went out during the week on a rainy day and sure enough the vent had a very small leak in it. Just throwing it out there. Or its a radiator leak. If it is a tiny little crack or hole it may stop leaking for a short time when it gets hot as metal expands. But once the cooling system builds up a few pounds of pressure you will see the coolant come out. Double check the clamps on the upper hose. It is a 2008 so perhaps the radiator has an issue. Good luck.
Thank you.

If it is indeed coolant it is not OK or normal. Coolant doesn't just leak out of a bike unless there is a cause for a leak. Like a loose clamp or a bad hose or coolant part. Perhaps the vent hole in the water pump or someplace for coolant to escape from. I have 6 water cooled bikes in my garage most of the time. A few get ridden frequently including the Rocket and including the winter months. One bike sits most of the time time but not one bike leaks coolant. Mityvac makes an inexpensive (@ $30.00) cooling system pressure tester. It is pretty versatile, if you have multiple vehicles and you work on your own cars, trucks, bikes, ATVs, and so on it is worth the money.

Last edited:
It got really cold here this winter and I store mine in unheated garage, had some coolant on floor this year under my 08 . Took it in and they did spring time up said there wasn't a problem.
But there was coolant on floor, so ?
Thank you.

If it is indeed coolant it is not OK or normal. Coolant doesn't just leak out of a bike unless there is a cause for a leak. Like a loose clamp or a bad hose or coolant part. Perhaps the vent hole in the water pump of someplace for coolant to escape from. I have 6 water cooled bikes in my garage most of the time. A few get ridden frequently including the Rocket and including the winter months. One bike sits most of the time time but not one bike leaks coolant. Mityvac makes an inexpensive (@ $30.00) cooling system pressure tester. It is pretty versatile, if you have multiple vehicles and you work on your own cars, trucks, bikes, ATVs, and so on it is worth the money.
It IS coolant.. thanks for you replies...I was thinking it looked to be coming from the radiator. It figures...just in time for Spring riding season! Maybe I'll look into one of those Mityvacs. Thanks.

I have been experiencing a similar problem , in the garage one day and a cookie sized wet patch on the floor below the water pump. Took the bike out , put it away , next day nothing . Two days later and another cookie sized patch under the bike . Baffled me for ages until I finally realised it was condensation collecting on the front cover of the engine and dripping off below the water pump cover ! Now the weather has got a bit warmer , no stain on the floor . Its strange how altho the whole engine was being covered in condensation , the only place it came off the bike was below the pump cover .

I have had coolant on the floor every single winter since I've had my Rocket. Hoses, rad, rad cap, water pump....you name it. That's my single biggest complaint about these bikes. Whatever it is about my rad I've never fixed it, it's just extreme cold that causes it. Once I run the bike and start using it, the leak stops. Clamps loosen all the time and I've doubled them up if it fits. Water pump O-ring is an easy fix. When my rad cap went I used the cap off my quad to get by until my Triumph dealer (who stocks nothing) got me a new one (2 weeks). My racing quad cap is 28lbs so needless to say it swole one of my hoses which started to leak. I changed those out as well. Once winter hits I park my Rocket over a pad, it catches whatever leaks. I leave it there so the leak dries and leaves me a nice white trail to follow. I fix whatever it is and ride the season, next year same thing.

I have been experiencing a similar problem , in the garage one day and a cookie sized wet patch on the floor below the water pump. Took the bike out , put it away , next day nothing . Two days later and another cookie sized patch under the bike . Baffled me for ages until I finally realised it was condensation collecting on the front cover of the engine and dripping off below the water pump cover ! Now the weather has got a bit warmer , no stain on the floor . Its strange how altho the whole engine was being covered in condensation , the only place it came off the bike was below the pump cover .
Thank you.

Back