coolant level check, what the heck

AussieMick

Living the Dream
Ride
2017 R3R
Went to check the coolant level today. Read the manual to get the detail and then out to the bike. What the heck, there is no way you can see through that dark gray overflow tank. Shook the bike to see if I could see any wave movement, nothing. Shone a torch at the plastic, nothing. Dipped a finger as far as I could, nothing. Tried to look into the neck of the bottle but the tank is in the way, nothing. I suppose I will need to find something to dip into it that is longer than my finger. What a **** design or am I missing something

The factory fluid in mine is clear so I have to put a bright light shinning into the "add" hole on top while checking the fluid from side. Is very difficult to see fluid level.

Mine hasn't had coolant in the surge tank for years. Never had a problem with overheating, not even on the traveling circus when we went across no mans land on the way to Cody WO !

sweat.jpg

Geez, bike is only six months old. Only done 10000 km, it must of been empty from the dealer. Will speak to them on Monday and get them to top it up with coolant and not just distilled water. Coming into proper summer here in Adelaide and 40 degree days won't be far away. Thanks for all the replies

Mine hasn't had coolant in the surge tank for years. Never had a problem with overheating, not even on the traveling circus when we went across no mans land on the way to Cody WO !

sweat.jpg

AMEN on that, Fred!
Twas a scorcher, still fun riding motors with great Amigos . . . & 1 Porsche!

Geez, bike is only six months old. Only done 10000 km, it must of been empty from the dealer. Will speak to them on Monday and get them to top it up with coolant and not just distilled water. Coming into proper summer here in Adelaide and 40 degree days won't be far away. Thanks for all the replies
Yeah, yeah, rub it in that there are some of us freezing our butts off at the moment!

Back