Coolant leaking at bottom of water pump

motolink

Nitrous
Ride
2011 Roadster and 2001 Bonneville
After leaving the Roadster standing in the shed for a week I noticed a very small drop of coolant on the floor directly under the water pump. Wiped the area with my hand and there was a very slight dampness on my fingers.
So I decided to go for a run and check again, as soon as I stopped I checked again and there was just a drop of coolant showing. Left over night, next morning there was not any water on the shed floor but I could see a very small amount of coolant on the bottom of the water pump.
With my limited knowledge I thought the coolant must be getting past the seal in the pump and coming out of the weep hole in the bottom of the pump.
anyone experienced this. The bike is only 4 months old so I am sure the dealer will fix it under warranty, my dealer is a 2 hour ride away.

Am I right in thinking there would be a weep hole in the water pump housing to let out any coolant that gets past the seal. that seems to be where the coolant is coming from but I am going have a very good look at it with the motor running this weekend.

Mine did the same thing when new, the dealer told me it was the seals not yet seated and would stop leaking after it had been ridden awhile.
I gave it a week and when it had not stopped seeping I made them order a pump and replace it.

It might have stopped on it's own eventually like the dealer said, but I wasn't going to wait. That and I've never EVER seen a water pump leak when it was new and stop later. The new one didn't leak.

Personally, I'd make them replace it. It's an easy job and you should be able to wait while it's being replaced.

Hell, ask for a Bonnie while you wait and go have some fun on it ... that's what I did.

The bike is only 4 months old so I am sure the dealer will fix it under warranty, my dealer is a 2 hour ride away.

I think a lot of owners have had this happen including me. My dealer replaced the washer at the 16000 klm service and no problems 1 year on.
The top bolt on the water pump is the drain plug

Oh, and mine didn't leak while running ... it leaked while cooling down with pressure still on the system.

Don't wipe the residue off before you take it in, that's proof to the tech that it's indeed leaking and shows him from where.

If they don't have one in stock, it will take two trips.. one to diagnose and one to repair. Be ready for that nonsense. :mad:

Have you had the first service done yet?

Thanks for all the replies, I don't expect any resistance from the dealer, I will try to take some photos and send to the dealer so I don't have to do two trips.

Back