3ngin33r1

Supercharged
I'm already past the minimum serviceable spec on my front and rear stock rotors.

I was looking at replacing them and just as I thought, Triumph wants an arm and leg for them. $290.35 each. for the fronts and $233.88 for the rear.

Well screw that...

EBC has contoured rotors that fit the R3 and I can pick them up for $174.63/each on the front and $140.47 for a non contoured rear.

What are the real advantages of contoured rotors?

Oh, and if anyone wants part numbers:

EBC Pads for R3, R3C and R3T:
Front: FA236 (x2) (organic)
Front: FA236HH (x2) (sintered)
Rear: FA209/2HH (sintered)

EBC Rotors for R3 and R3C
Front: MD669X (x2, left and right)
Front: MD669XC (x2, left and right contoured)
Rear: MD669

They don't have front rotors for the R3T yet, but the rear rotor is the same as the R3 and R3C.

If you'd like to double check, the EBC catalog(ue) is here:

EBC Brakes | Automotive & Motorcycle Catalogues | USA, Canada, Mexico | UK, European, Asian

Page 44 of the 2009 Motorcycle catalog(ue) has the R3 info.

And back to my question, what's all the hype over the contoured rotors other than they look pretty cool?

Wave rotors dissipate heat through created turbulence... leading to better braking power. Wave turbulence also helps clean dust from pads.

If you want far superior braking power, go with cast iron Beringer Aeronal rotors, not steel rotors. Very expensive because you must also use Beringer calipers, but IMO worth it.

Actually they are "aluminized" cast iron, meaning an aluminum coating over the cast iron core. They don't seem to mind my East Coast rain, but might not do as well with salt water. Email my friend Philippe Danh, of Beringer USA, for a more informed answer:

beringerbrakes@gmail.com

Tell him Walt sent you. :cool:

I'll do that. I have no doubts that you've found the best with them.

As much as I'd like to get them, I may focus more on a solution for the common man with the EBCs.

If they outperform the Triumph rotors and are $120 less per rotor, that's a good thing for the masses.

I may try them out just to be the one trying them out.

Wave rotors dissipate heat through created turbulence... leading to better braking power. Wave turbulence also helps clean dust from pads.

If you want far superior braking power, go with cast iron Beringer Aeronal rotors, not steel rotors. Very expensive because you must also use Beringer calipers, but IMO worth it.

walt--how come my Braking wave rotors/brembos still get dusty then ??? :):):)

Too much chrome!!!!:D Doesnt even look like you use the front! For the price you payed I wouldnt either!!:cool:

mutt

walt--how come my Braking wave rotors/brembos still get dusty then ???

John

I just can't figure out why you need those fancy Brembos on an "H" rated tire?!? :confused:

ECTA won't let you run higher than 130 with that setup! ;)

Maybe he likes gooooooooooooold.

The look of it...
The schmell of it...
The tashte of it...

Maybe he likes gold so much he lost his genitalia in an unfortunate schmelting accident...

Back