Freecrowder

Standard Bore
Ride
Honda VTX 1800
Hello I am currently riding a Honda VTX 1800. The Neo Retro version. I have been very happy with it, runs strong. I have always ridden Hondas, 2 others years back. The one thing to say about the Hondas is that they are bullet proof. Absolutely no problems what so ever. So that is what I am fretting about with an R3.
I'm looking at one from 2005. Excellent condition cosmetically, 22000 miles and has windshield and matching hardbags. I have heard it idle and sounds normal. One thing though the odometer shows 59 miles. The dealer is saying that the odo failed and was replaced and that is why it shows 59. I saw a owners log that showed 22000 for mileage. So mainly I'm concerned of reliability issues that I have been reading about. I am a hands on engineer and could probably do any maintenance myself. Appreciate any feedback. Also wondering how much difference in power with R3 than VTX?

Welcome!!! Ill start from the bottom and go up. More power than you could imagine. Standard R3 has 140hp out of the box. A few mods and you can have more. It has unbelievable torque. As far as the one your looking at...I personally would look for something else UNLESS you are getting it for a steal....that said.....there are recalls and updates to the older rockets....more fellas will chime in to cover that part...if its had its upgrades then probably no reason not to take the plunge.....either way...once you ride you wont ride another! :)

mutt

Welcome from one of the many Aussies on here, I had a Honda VTX 1800 as well, the rocker handles much the same. The VTX is probably just a little better at very low speed, but the power of the rocket is in a different league all together.
Get one you won't regret it

Welcome mate, I would buy 2009 upwards if you can afford to. Some earlier models had gearbox issues and a bearing in the output shaft that detonated. all the major update/upgrades were done in the 2009 models.
Or if your getting it from a dealer.. see if they do a GOOD extra warranty cover (And read the fine print).
Use the search function on this site to read up on some of the issue. Just remember - not all Rockets have had failures prior to being built in 2009.

Had a VTX 1800 until a couple of years ago, put 47,000 miles on it, loved it but totaled it. Been on a FZ1 ever since. A nice ride, quick as hell but not a cruiser which I need to ride 2 up. Sorry, 50 year olds look stupid riding double on a sport bike. Still trying to get used to the Rocket. The Roadster pegs are too far back, I think the Triumph engineers out thought themselves. They need to give us options like Harley does on the Dyna. You can have mid mount pegs or forward, your choice. So if you are going from a VTX to a Rocket pick your model carefully, the Roadsters are awesome but they are not configured for distance riding, the Standard and Classic and Touring may be better. My 2 cents.

Had a VTX 1800 until a couple of years ago, put 47,000 miles on it, loved it but totaled it. Been on a FZ1 ever since. A nice ride, quick as hell but not a cruiser which I need to ride 2 up. Sorry, 50 year olds look stupid riding double on a sport bike. Still trying to get used to the Rocket. The Roadster pegs are too far back, I think the Triumph engineers out thought themselves. They need to give us options like Harley does on the Dyna. You can have mid mount pegs or forward, your choice. So if you are going from a VTX to a Rocket pick your model carefully, the Roadsters are awesome but they are not configured for distance riding, the Standard and Classic and Touring may be better. My 2 cents.

If you want to do long runs regularly 700/800k days and are of generous proportions then the Touring is as its name suggests the one to buy a little more expensive but a real mile eater, and with a little tickle up can be a very quick bike.

You can always mount a set of touring pegs, I have no trouble with the Roadster peg location, even after a 800km day

Like kmutt said probably should steer clear of the 2005, the first year of any model is likely to have it's problems and while some of triumphs models have proven to be as reliable as your average honda the 2005 rocket was not one. I bought the update kit for my 2006 and 'OMG' there's a lot of parts in there! and once you ride one of these your pretty much hooked.

Im one who bought an 05 before I found this forum. I bought mine 2 yrs ago it had 7200 miles on it. The guy that owned it was the Parts manager at Foothills Triumph in Denver and is still there. It was always serviced at the dealer and was showroom clean when I bought mine. The only issues so far I have had with mine is the high idle issue which is not just a problem with the 05 this issue exists in other years also. Mine shifts great and now runs great thanks to some help I received here from one of the members. I figure if I have trouble with it I can find someone to fix it and even if I need to put some money into it I bought it cheap enough I wouldn't feel to bad about doing it. Al

Back