Contemplating an R3 Purchase

Hemi_Guy

.020 Over
Ride
2011 Triumph R3 Touring
Hey all,

New to the site and looking for input. I am considering a purchase of a 2011 R3 Touring this weekend and could use your help on things I should look for, things I should ask, etc. The bike is a one owner and appears to have been very well taken care of.

I am currently on a 2006 Honda VTX 1800N and want to try something other than a V-Twin for a while, the most unique bike I can find and genuinely like the looks of is the R3.

Any feedback for a rider looking to go to an R3 for the first time?

Thank you,

Paul.

Many Rocket III owners have the Touring and love it. I prefer the Standard/Roadster. Some Touring owners will be along shortly.

How many miles and what accessories have been installed ? What is the asking price ?

Ask the owner about:
Transmission shifting correctly and the detent spring condition.
Has the tune been updated to the one that adds 30 more horsepower ?

Welcome Paul....Pretty sure you will love the Rocket not only for the grunt but also comfort.
I guess it's pretty much the same deal as buying any used bike. Has it been serviced well,...tyres....they may show wear on one side which is normal for Rockets...road camber and bike weight contribute to this... gearbox smooth?...no clunks in there...it should shift nicely and stay in gear!...electrical all work?...No oil leaks from under the head area after a ride or any where for that matter..stuff like that.
Good luck and enjoy...cheers Tal.

Paul, welcome from Maine:) Judging by your Hemi-guy net name that you are into strong cars. Well the Rocket is strong as well. You probably are a good judge of proper care, take her for a spin, noting the above comments about shifting. A few Rockets have had trany issues, but many by far are good to go. A Rocket can be modified to over 250 rwhp if you so wish. Be sure to check if the ecu has been updated to the Roadster tune, gets you 30 hp above a std touring. Keep that is mind if you get the chance to test ride, and you should test ride. It'll be totally differert from the vtx.

Hoopla

Thank you,everyone. Unfortunately I was just a few hours short of committing with the seller and the bike was sold last night. So I am still on the hunt. I'll update if I get my hands on one.

Martin Moto is a good set of folks. I don't live close to them, but I happened upon them looking for some parts and they were really great to work with.

Welcome. You will love the bike. The 2011 is priced to high and won’t have abs brakes. 2013 is priced about right (1000$ high) and has abs brakes and looks like an SE model with upgraded seat drivers backrest and the pillion seat can be removed for the solo look. You also have the adjustable highway pegs.

Keep in mind that this bike will ruin you! All other bikes will feel like a toy and won’t get that arm ripping torque like the rocket.

Good luck and the vtx is a great bike also

Back