Considering upgrading to a roadster

teraeric

Turbocharged
Ride
2012 r3r
new to site and the rocket 3... looking at selling my honda vtx1800 to a buddy and getting a 2012 rocket 3 roadster... it's a brand new 2012, flat black paint one... had them fire it up in the showroom and i was very surprised at the volume and quality of the sound coming from stock pipes...

the only thing that scares me is all that heat aiming right at you... my 1800 gets pretty warm at stoplights down here in the summer (not the bike itself, but me sitting on top of it)...

going to go ride it on monday... probably going to buy it just to have owned one...

new to site and the rocket 3... looking at selling my honda vtx1800 to a buddy and getting a 2012 rocket 3 roadster... it's a brand new 2012, flat black paint one... had them fire it up in the showroom and i was very surprised at the volume and quality of the sound coming from stock pipes...

the only thing that scares me is all that heat aiming right at you... my 1800 gets pretty warm at stoplights down here in the summer (not the bike itself, but me sitting on top of it)...

going to go ride it on monday... probably going to buy it just to have owned one...

As Ian just remarked... bring your checkbook. You will want to own the Rocket; once she has tasted you..... you're going to be pretty much enthralled with her and amazed; once you date her (on a test ride).

You will see. :eek:ldgit: There is not another motorcycle quite like her.

Florida conditions quite similar to mid/south Queensland Oz( where I'm from) engine heat isn't an issue at all.

The 2013 R3R comes stock with mostly unrestricted tunes which open the secondaries 100% except at the highest end. The previous year's stock tunes are much more limited (closed secondaries). Ask the dealer if he can load a new unrestricted tune into a 2012 bike.

The 2013 R3R comes stock with mostly unrestricted tunes which open the secondaries 100% except at the highest end. The previous year's stock tunes are much more limited (closed secondaries). Ask the dealer if he can load a new unrestricted tune into a 2012 bike.

thanks, will check into that...

I suggest visiting the TuneECU.com site. Click on the British flag, then T-Tunes on the left. You will be on a page with all Triumph OEM 3&4 cylinder bike tunes. 20355 is for the older Roadsters with off-road mufflers and 20688 is the 2013 tune with off-road mufflers.

Download them here:

http://www.tomhamburg.net/Tunes_in_...model/all_Rocket/Rocket_Roadster/20355Map.zip

http://www.tomhamburg.net/Tunes_in_.../Rocket_Roadster_from_VIN 574813/20688Map.zip

Download the tuneecu program. Unzip it into a folder and make an icon on your desktop. Download the manual and read it. Unzip the tune zip files into a folder and unzip them. They have .hex extensions. Start TuneECU and open 20688. On the left you can highlight all of the fuel, ignition, and secondary position tables, etc. and examine those tables. Under file, hit compare and open the older 20355. When you toggle F6, you will go between tunes to compare. Select F1 (and all other F and L fuel tables) on the left. Toggling thusly, you will see that all the fuel tables are the same between the 2012 and 2013 tunes. Go down and highlight 2nd throttle in the 20688 tune. This tells you the percent that the secondary throttle plates are open. You want them open all the way all the time. You will see 100's everywhere except above 4600 rpm in 4th and 5th in the 2013 tune. This is way above peak torque so you want this tune. Toggle F6 back to 20355. The 2ndary table is filled with numbers in the 30% range in 1st-3rd below 4000 rpm. The secondaries are closed down to this much and this significantly restricts power in the peak torque range where you need power from 0-80 mph. You don't want this.

If you bought a 2012, you could edit 20355, change all the values in 2nd throttle to 100% (or exactly the way they are in the 2013 tune) and download it into the bike. You just need to buy the correct cable ($20) off Amazon (for Triumph tuneecu). Maybe the dealer would download the 2013 tune into the 2012 bike. If he says he can't, you can do it yourself with the edited 20355 which is definitely compatible with the 2012 and perhaps save a bundle. Dealers sometimes don't know WTF they're talking about or maybe they would want you to buy the newer bike, so be careful. I don't believe there's anything different on the 2013 except style and that tune. The 2012 has ABS, right? A MUST!

Back