Considering buying a Rocket Touring

Navigator

Living Legend
Ride
2009 Rocket Touring
I can't believe I'm considering getting another Rocket. Several years ago I gave my son my 07 Classic Tourer. He loved it the first time he rode it when visiting us while on leave. It is now in his shop at his home in Bel Air Maryland and I help him work on it and ride it every visit. I won't go into all of the mods I made but it includes a tune by Hanso and is one mean machine.

My touring bike is now a Kawasaki Nomad and while it's a nice bike, top heavy though, it is obviously not a Rocket.

Yesterday I got a call from a local friend Blaine, a retired teacher, who said one of his best friends from his teaching days has a Rocket 3 he wants to sell, that his friend can't ride anymore and probably has only a year or so to live. I told Blaine that I'd call to get some details on the bike and help the guy sell it if I could. I called this evening and what a great guy he is. We spoke for almost an hour.

It is a 2011 Touring, the two tone blue, with about 8k on the clock, well accessorized and sounds to be in pristine condition. I asked his approximate asking price and he said he'd like to get $11K (of course) but would probably take $9k (and probably less).

Oh heck. I'm going to ride over to look at it this week and obviously have a decision to make.

I'll take some pics and post them.

The Nomads are a nice bike but as you say not a Rocket especially a Touring, 2011 Black engine and all go for it and let old mate know you will look after it might make his journey a bit easier ,people seem to worry about their toys when they know there time is short,

One of the challenges we now face here is the paucity of Triumph dealerships. Our local one just discontinued selling them and I am told that Triumph of Tacoma, about 40 minutes from my house, has closed its doors.

10lbull, where do you now get parts and service?

One of the challenges we now face here is the paucity of Triumph dealerships. Our local one just discontinued selling them and I am told that Triumph of Tacoma, about 40 minutes from my house, has closed its doors.

10lbull, where do you now get parts and service?

Do my own service and order most parts from Bike Bandit.
If I need a dealer and I'm soon to have valves adjusted, I shall go where I purchased at I-90 Motorsports.
KTM, Honda, Triumph, Sea-Doo, Ski-Doo, Yamaha, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Used Motorcycles

Do my own service and order most parts from Bike Bandit.
If I need a dealer and I'm soon to have valves adjusted, I shall go where I purchased at I-90 Motorsports.
KTM, Honda, Triumph, Sea-Doo, Ski-Doo, Yamaha, Motorcycles, Snowmobiles, Used Motorcycles

I was there about two months ago. A good friend who rode a beautiful Indian Chief that was tricked out and powered up as much as one can to to one of those, wanted a bit more thrill so we drove out there with the intent of he riding home on a leftover 2015 Rocket Roadster. He put $500 miles down on it but then a couple of weeks later some stupid 18 year b**ch was texting and turned left in front of him in her brand new Toyota Pries that daddy had just bought for her. Both the car and his Chief were totaled with Cameron almost. He'll be in healing, rehab and physical therapy for about six months with his riding days over.

It seemed to be a good dealership. Like you I do my own routine services but getting into tappets or shims setup send me to the dealership.

I spoke with the gent this evening and he corrected himself after looking at the title; it is a 2009. I'm going to ride over Saturday morning to take a look at it. I'm not quite sure how guys get the year wrong but it happens I suppose. It will definitely impact value.

I'd have to part with my Nomad to get the Rocket.

Mike,

I think all of us face the challenge of fading/inconsistent dealerships -- the economics in the US are against motorcycles (and passenger railroads).

You may not have even this option: what I'm doing is have several motorcycle mechanics --- just good, honest, able folks -- and I give them my hardcopy manual and tell them what I need. They take a look and tell me they'll do their best, and so far, that has been good enough.

The Rocket is not that complicated -- certainly less tupperware to deal with than some bikes. Combine that with the collective wisdom available in this site, I find me as a mere mortal managing so far.

Back