Considering buying a 2011 low mileage Roadster

Willyone

Supercharged
Ride
2012 HD Road King & 2001 HD Heritage Springer
Anything in particular I should be looking for other than the obvious like tire condition, fluids, leaks, shifing, etc? Are there known possible issues or weak links in the chain with this year Rocket? FWIW I believe the bike is 100% bone stock.

Thanks in advance !! (o:

Can't go wrong with that one . You seem to have the bases covered !
2010 and onwards not known for any particular problems . Make sure neutral is easy to find , she don't jump out of gear and the drivetrain is sleek and silent . Other than that , enjoy ! :thumbsup:

Very satisfied with the 2011 R3R I bought used - first bike I bought used in 45 years... I already had a 2014 R3R I bought new but the previous owner of the 2011 had done a lot of the mods I wanted with lots of other parts accessories off the bike that he threw in, had all his work done and documented at the Triumph dealer and it was in outstanding condition with a very fair price. Most all the Rocket 3 problems had been resolved by 2010 and I am a big proponent of ABS on big powerful bikes.

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with that one . You seem to have the bases covered !
2010 and onwards not known for any particular problems . Make sure neutral is easy to find , she don't jump out of gear and the drivetrain is sleek and silent . Other than that , enjoy ! :thumbsup:

What is the issue of difficulty finding neutral? I noted it on my 09 Touring at times. With so many bikes there can be a little "trick" at times to find neutral so I just attributed it to this. My 07 Kawasaki Nomad is somewhat the same. Is this an indicator of some type of issue with the Rocket trannie? I was under the impression that the Rockets were pretty much properly sorted by the latter '08 models.

What is the issue of difficulty finding neutral? I noted it on my 09 Touring at times. With so many bikes there can be a little "trick" at times to find neutral so I just attributed it to this. My 07 Kawasaki Nomad is somewhat the same. Is this an indicator of some type of issue with the Rocket trannie? I was under the impression that the Rockets were pretty much properly sorted by the latter '08 models.
Yes your right , the gremlins were sorted by 09 and the ABS version launched in 2010 . Difficulty in finding neutral or jumping out of gear can be signs of gearbox abuse or possible detent spring on its last legs . That said , my 2010 was low miles and positive shifts were required until the gearbox loosened up a bit !

OK, thanks Nat. my 09 shifts flawlessly but other then the search for neutral, shifts just fine.

I always worried about my 07 back when there were issues like the "paint can rattle" and the output shaft bearing issues. When I gave my 07 to my son I told him about some of the issues and that if anything went wrong I'd pay for the repairs. At over 33k though it is trouble free though.

When you consider it though, the Rocket issues were dwarfed by the problems with Harley Twin Cams.

Did I mention that I love my 2009 Touring?

Last edited:
Yes your right , the gremlins were sorted by 09 and the ABS version launched in 2010 . Difficulty in finding neutral or jumping out of gear can be signs of gearbox abuse or possible detent spring on its last legs . That said , my 2010 was low miles and positive shifts were required until the gearbox loosened up a bit !

My Dear Nath,
I thought the 2010 R3R were non ABS, which arrived in 2011??? :confused:
Do I be wrong . . . AGAIN??? :eek:

My Dear Nath,
I thought the 2010 R3R were non ABS, which arrived in 2011??? :confused:
Do I be wrong . . . AGAIN??? :eek:
Yep, you also discovered and commented on the same thing in a post of mine over a year ago. I have an Dec 2009 made 2010 model Roadster with ABS - they all came out with it from scratch unlike the Touring which was released without ABS in 2008 initially.

OK, thanks Nat. my 09 shifts flawlessly but other then the search for neutral, shifts just fine.

I always worried about my 07 back when there were issues like the "paint can rattle" and the output shaft bearing issues. When I gave my 07 to my son I told him about some of the issues and that if anything went wrong I'd pay for the repairs. At over 33k though it is trouble free though.

When you consider it though, the Rocket issues were dwarfed by the problems with Harley Twin Cams.

Did I mention that I love my 2009 Touring?

Nav - I have 2 twin cam HDs now, and often finding neutral can be a bit of a PIA in both. But then sometimes too, either one will simply go to neutral with no problem.... don't know why that is but seems to be a popular HD thing. So, if I gotta hunt for neutral with this '11 Rocket I'm thinking of buying I should feel right at home :rolleyes: As for problems with the HD Twin Cam, I've had three of'm and never any problems. Maybe I'm just lucky ;) but that's not to say they don't have weaknesses, because they do. And I hear Harley's new M8 has had some problems too. Cheaping out on parts was and is a big mistake.

Thanks for the input fella's. Considering what I've read and what I've learned since looking into the Rockets (much of it on this forum thank you very much!!) I figured 2011 would be a good year Rocket to consider.

Back