Considering a 2013 R3T

Popeye707

.020 Over
Ride
2013 R3T, Cranberry Red and Black
Hello R3T riders. I am certainly impressed and intrigued by the R3T. I am a big dude, at 6'3 330lbs, and I feel cramped on most bikes, so the size and torque does look good to me. I am going to look at a 2013 Touring this weekend, and I was wondering if there is anything specific I need to be looking for or concerned about. This particular one has 28,000 miles on it, and it has a trailer hitch and an outlet, so I know it was used for towing. It also seems a bit too bargain priced, at $7,500, from a dealer. I know very little about the R3T, so any tips, hints, or heads ups would be greatly appreciated.

Popeye707

No real issues with the T. See if you can test ride it to check it out. make sure it shifts OK. Do not park it with the front wheel lower than the rear, the T is a real biatch to back up hill. Good luck.

Howdy Popeye! R3 was made for biguns like yourself - As Jake said, test it out - check it thoroughly - The pricing on these bikes is amazing :D

Hello R3T riders. I am certainly impressed and intrigued by the R3T. I am a big dude, at 6'3 330lbs, and I feel cramped on most bikes, so the size and torque does look good to me. I am going to look at a 2013 Touring this weekend, and I was wondering if there is anything specific I need to be looking for or concerned about. This particular one has 28,000 miles on it, and it has a trailer hitch and an outlet, so I know it was used for towing. It also seems a bit too bargain priced, at $7,500, from a dealer. I know very little about the R3T, so any tips, hints, or heads ups would be greatly appreciated.

Popeye707
I got my 2011 R3T with 18,000 for around $9,000. full windshield, driver and passenger backrests. no problems at all and loving it.

The price sounds about right to me. You may be able to get it for a little less. You need to know that the bike shifts properly. The one weak link in the R3Ts is the shifter detent spring. If it is broken, the bike will want to pop out of gear, and it will be very apparent. If it shifts okay and seems to run fine, you are good to go. A tune download really wakes up the R3T. I have 80,000 miles on my '08 and she is my daily driver. A real workhorse of a bike. The trailer thing is a non-issue with one of these girls.

Good luck.

So, I went and rode it, and I must say I was quite impressed. It was big, and it was heavy. I know I didn't like a giant clown a little bike riding it. I was a little concerned about how the low speed maneuvering would be, but it wasn't bad at all. I took it through all the gears, and it shifted up and down just fine. The salesman said it can be tough to find neutral at stops, but I didn't have any trouble with that either, although I only did it twice. I was quite pleased to have the opportunity to take it on the freeway for a couple miles, and holy cow!!! My frame of reference for comparison are a 2004 HD Road Glide, a 2001 Yamaha V Star 1100, and Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, and there really was no comparison. If I pushed my HD hard, I could have it at ~80mph by the time I was on the freeway, but it was working hard, and you felt like you were going fast. The R3T was effortlessly at 80mph before I knew it, and it didn't feel like it was even breaking a sweat. It was natural and smooth, and it felt like I was just calmly rolling along. A quick flick of the wrist, and it was pushing 95, again with almost effortless ease. Seriously, why are there not more of these on the road, and why are they so affordable when compared to any other "big" cruiser?

Anyway, I showed up in my cage, because I cant stand to ride my current bike the one hour to the dealership, so I couldn't have it properly evaluated for trade. With a site unseen low ball trade offer, we couldn't quite come together on price. So I left...

Anyway, they called me today, and asked if I had thought anymore about the bike. The truth... almost hourly. What I told them, was I thought we were too far apart on price, and I wasn;t seeing any give on their part. So, they said, if i can ride my trade to them, so they know it's ride-able, they will accept my offer/terms. Well, the bad news is they close too early for me to get there today, my son has his first little league baseball game tomorrow, and Wednesday is rain, and the wife's church woman's group meeting. So, Thursday I go get it, so long as no one else shows up at the dealer with cash...

Hi and welcome from Minden Nevada. I'm 6' and 340 lb so know how it feels to be a big man on a little bike. My last ride was a 2011 Road Glide. After riding my current bike (2014 R3T) I traded the HD like I didn't even like it. All the HD coolade wore off in a hurry as I rolled back the throttle. The only thing I hated was the stock seat. I have hacked and ground the stock seat until it was comfortable for me and I can ride it for several hours without pain.

Back