Confused about reset adaptation

ROCKETOUR

.060 Over
Ride
2008 R3T with lots of changes
I have version 1.7.7 and on the TuneEcu website it says:
(I have a 2008 R3T)

Reset Adaption, prior to version 1.9.6, Reset TPS (Keihin ECU only), Triumph only

These option are not applicable for the Sagem models.

Process will be launched in the test window (Reset Adaption).
<Menu> ECU--- Reset Adaption

After each download, a Adaption reset is needed.
1. Turn the ignition off and back on again.
2. Wait 10 seconds and turn the ignition off again.
3. Turn the ignition on. Wait until TuneECU has connected automatically and select Reset Adaption
from the ECU menu.
4. Start the engine and let it idle until the TPS light in the status bar becomes green – around 15 to 20
minutes, at this process, don't touch the throttle.
If the TPS light doesn't turn green after twenty minutes, don't worry and turn the engine off anyway as sometimes it doesn't trigger, and in our experience the job is done anyway.

Is everybody doing this? I went through a loading process with PowerTripp about 2 years ago and I don't remember going through this on/off/on routine with the switch. The comptuer is hooked up the whole time? Then at step 3 a box with "reset adaptation" will light up? And after all this you still do the 12 minute tune afterwards? What will happen if you don't reset adaptives?
I really want to load Wayne's tune but I'm affraid of mucking it up. Can anybody clarify/assist? Thanks.

Why not use the latest 2.5.5 of TuneECU? It's just a download away. Is there some specific reason? (I'm an IT guy by day so I tend to try to upgrade software, reasoning that they probably fixed bugs... and added features.)

Anyway - and this is coming from a newbie TuneECU user so I'm not an authority in any way shape or form - the reason to reset adaptations is to make the ECU which is, after all, what manages the engine forget everything it learned with the old tune. The ECU isn't a static thing, it takes readings from the sensors and uses those to optimize the engine so it runs according to specifications. Every engine is going to be different in how it runs; you can't make one engine identical to the next as they're built from a plethora of parts with some minor give in the size specifications, so that's why an ECU is learning - so it can tune how the engine operates to achieve a certain level of efficiency without having to hand-tune every engine.

A learning ECU will also constantly keep adjusting the settings as the engine ages, keeping it in tune even as things change, so it doesn't need manual retuning every time you turn around.

I would presume that even if you don't reset adaptations, the ECU will eventually adapt, as it will continue to learn. But resetting it to a default state and then running it for the 12-15-whatever minutes allows it to put a rough approximation into place over those 15 minutes. Then just ride and it will get closer to the ideal as you go.

At least that is my understanding of the process. It's possible that not resetting can be catastrophic, I suppose, but I have to kind of doubt it. But hopefully some of the real gurus can chime in.

yes, not a guru, but that is my understanding, just speeds up the process a little.

Hey, thanks for the info cr0ft. The reason that I'm hesitant about downloading the latest version is that it seems
that every time some "new" software is downloaded, (a new software of any sort), something else goes wrong and it turns into a CLUSTER F&)k! I got this version from Wayne Tripp (PowerTripp) and it has worked ok. I had talked with him about updated versions and he said that the changes probably wouldn't be noticable. Although that was over a year ago. After I finished download, I did 12 min tune. It runs really nice with no issues at this point.
I have also read posters who have had connectivity issues after downloading the latest version. If there are major
bug issues with the version I have, then I would have to get the update.
What am I not getting from the tune from PowerTripp because I'm using this older version? Am I missing additional
performance? Smoother running? The ECU is reading the code as written in the tune, right? Does the newest version
read or implement the tune differently? What does the latest version do better? It may have more user programming options/functions, but I don't have a dyno to help me see minute AF ratio issues. So I wouldn't change any of the tables as to not create any running problems. I'll stay open to possible future updates but remain aprehensive.

Naah, if it works it probably works, I haven't compared what 2.5.5 does vs 1.7. But usually major version changes (the first number) indicates that something major changed - support for newer hardware, different ECU's and that sort of thing. If you already have the tune in, you're good, the map itself is no different, TuneECU is just the way to get it in there (as well as to see diagnostics, of course.)

I just mentioned the latest version since you stated you were wondering about stuff that appeared version related.

For the record, 2.5.5 with the Lonelec cable worked great for me.

Back