Concern or No--found ominous material

Wetrudgeon

Supercharged
All:
Had the tires changed on our '08 Rocket Standard three weeks (and 420) miles ago. Work done at a reputable dealer. Inspected closely upon completion and have been riding with no apparent problems.

After a ride yesterday, we found this stuff dangling from one of the "hollows" in the rear wheel.

These shavings are apparently aluminum (won't react to a magnet).

We carried this stuff to the dealer, and the service man said he had never seen anything quite like it, but surmised that it is "scorf" (material left over from when the wheels were manufactured at the factory). He says that there is no place in the Rocket III rear wheel where the aluminum and the steel could scrape together and cause this kind of wear/by product. He has offered to pull the wheel and double check for any signs of unusual wear and we are inclined to let him have a look. The inspection will run us about $100.

Would any of you experienced Rocket owners care to offer any insights on what this material may be and if it is a sign of trouble?? Want to err on the side of safety, but $100 is $100.

Thanks in advance for any insights/information.

We trudge on.

How about they pull that and check it for free?

I'm assuming this is a new bike? This material wasn't hanging there when you received the bike?

With stuff like this, I wouldn't take the chance on the best guess from a "service manager" that probably doesn't know a Phillips from a Torx. Not worth your life if it ends up being something that could just make a wheel fall off or lock up and freeway speeds.

If the bike was new, there should be no charge for them to check it and prevent what may be a possible future warranty claim/lawsuit.

In the metalworking industry we call those "chips". Formed by the cutting tool as a part is turned. Unless you rode through a machine shop, I'd guess those were from when the wheel was turned.
Whoever produced them could use my help though; chips are best when they come off like sixes or nines.
Odd they should show up now, but I can assure you if they were produced while riding, you would have heard it.

Would any of you experienced Rocket owners care to offer any insights on what this material may be and if it is a sign of trouble?? Want to err on the side of safety, but $100 is $100.

Thanks in advance for any insights/information.

We trudge on.

I would go for a ride and see if any more comes out. I find it hard to believe it came from your bike unless it was stuck up inside the swing arm somewhere. It would have made some noise if there was something rubbing and the surfaces where it came from would be clearly visible without removing the wheel.

The Beast went back to the shop today and all was checked thoroughly. No problems found. It appears that the consensus on this forum is correct: the material is machined leftovers from the wheel manufacture. The shop charged nothing for the onceover, so all is well.

Thanks to all of you for your input.

We trudge on.

Back