Desert Storm

leaning into the curves of life
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring
I just did the 30,000 service on my ‘08 R3T. I’m curious what issues other R3T owners have seen. I’m the second owner. I got all the service/repair records from the previous owner. For my bike:

Replaced head gasket: 9,028 miles. warranty repair

Replaced “word-down” transmission shim due to grinding noise and difficulty shifting into 1st gear; required disassembly of transmission and motor to replace: 17,592 miles. cost: $2,148

Repairs I’ve done(purchased bike in Nov 2017)

Replaced fuel level sender and gasket: 22,793 miles cost: $287

Bolt in shift mechanism sheared off; required motor to be pulled and disassembled: 26,976. cost: $1,765

Let me know what repairs you’ve made on your R3T

NONE. Just upgrades. 2015 Rocket X bought brand new in Oct 2015. Never seen a dealership. IMG_0748.JPG Same engine my friend just assembled on a Wednesday vice a Monday or Friday.

Mine ate the transmission at 20,000 miles, on a trip, in St Louis, on the freeway during rush hour, on a blind curve under an underpass. No other problems at 32,000 miles.

Sounds to me like they didn't fix the"word-down" transmission correctly, and didn't use the correct torque settings and loctite where required. Hopefully they got it right the second time.

Back