Battersea

Turbocharged
Anyone on here know how to identify genuine R3 comfort shocks please, i.e. stamped-on part number, or anything else ?

lol.. I replied on the other site (TnT over there) but will check mine when I get home. The comfort shocks are great, I can tell you that. Hopefully, newer Rockets come with these shocks standard. I've been wanting to lower my bike, but I like the Comfort Shocks ride so much that I'm afraid to change..

From what I can tell there is no number or identifying marks to tell the difference. However, the Comfort Shocks appear to have slightly thinner springs with more coils. There are 8 coils exposed on the stock shock ( in my hand ) and 9 coils exposed on the Comfort Shock with it mounted on the bike. There would probably be 10 coils exposed with it off the off the bike.

Thanks Tx, as you replied on both sites I'll reply on both as well. :D

Held together like that the difference is obvious. I wonder if its just the springs or if the damping is different as well?

Incidentally, how did they compare ride wise?

The Comfort Shocks are good. In fact, although I want to change to 11.5" shocks to lower my bike, I'm afraid too because I know how good these ride.

I weigh about 200lbs or 14.2 stone for you British guys. I put about 40K miles on the stock R3 shocks. Those might as well be steel rods, I can barely move them.. lol I can't believe I went that long. I think for a much heavier person the stock shocks might perform better than they did for me.

Then I switched to Progressive 412s with Standard springs. Don't do this. The Standard springs are too weak and the damping was almost not there. Definitely MUCH softer than stock, but they bottomed out easy and sucked in hard corners from being to soft and not much damping. The HD springs probably perform better, but the damping still left alot to be desired.

I then ran across a GREAT deal on Triumph's Comfort Shocks on Ebay so I figured I would give them a try. I didn't even know if they were 'real' Comfort Shocks, but for the price, I didn't have anything to lose. I don't think they sell well because they look too much like the stock shocks, so people assume they suck.

I've been running the Comfort shocks for about 3 years now. I run them on the #2 pre-load setting. The damping is near perfect, shoot, to me the shocks are near perfect. For hard charging, they probably could be moved up to #3, but I have always just left them on #2, even loaded up with gear, sleeping bag, tent, etc.. My wife can no longer ride, so I hardly ever ride 2 up, but with 3 more pre-load settings, I'm sure #3, 4 o r5 would offset carrying a passenger.

Why Triumph couldn't have come out with these in the first place, is a mystery. I can only hope that Roadsters and the Touring come with the Comfort Shocks and not the shocks we Standard/Classic buyers were blessed with.

So how are you getting on?

Do you notice a lot of difference?

I haven't fitted them yet :eek: only just bought another bike lift to do the job. My other lift is supporting the BSA R3 that is mid restoration.

Must get around to it but in no hurry right now as not riding, awaiting angioplasty to a badly blocked artery.

Back