Coll packs Twas the night before the big ride

zimtuff

Nitrous
Ride
2008 Trimuph Rocket
Ive been servicing my bike for a 1000 klm ride which was supposed to take place today,but last night the bike was firing on 2 cylinders only. Its not the 1st time.It has happened before intermittently maybe 4 times , over the last 2 years.Its been fine for at least 6 months or more
Usually with some RPM or about 4-5 minutes it would come good ,but not this time. I have checked the leads and wiring to the plugs and coils and all seems good.
I was thinking if it was 1 spark plug or lead it would probably still fire on the plug ,but with a totally dead cylinder Im thinking its a coil pack.
I spoke to a few mechanics who said it would be hard to diagnose unless it played up while they were inspecting it,so I let it go.
I can smell unburnt fuel in the exhaust so I can assume the injector is pumping fuel in there.
Its still dark so I havent had time to start digging
Anyone have any thoughts on my problem?

Know you said you've checked coil wires .. everytime my bike has carried on like you described it was a loose splade fitting on the coil .. hope you get it sorted mate and get to go on the ride

The spades were quite tight/clean. Ive found it is #1 cylinder that is not firing. Im in the process of swapping the coil around with #3 and see what happens there. At least it will tell me if it is the wiring or the coil.
Ive had this problem intermittently for a couple of years but normally it just begines to fire on all 3 cyls once I get the rpms up ,then its fine for for 6 months.

It was 2 dead plugs on number 1 . When I put the iridium plugs in originally 30000 klms ago ,I checked the the 1st 2 with a feeler gauge which is a no no I learnt later.
I reasonably confident it was the same 2 dead plugs.
Bikes running fast but I did get a couple of splutters ,once in 4th coming out of a sweeper and another when taking off in 1st. Maybe some other plugs need changing.I could only get the 2 at short notice on saturday morning.
Im also getting a faster than normal idle that also fluctuates slightly but this maybe related to a bad TPS
Pedro said he never had much luck with Iridiums,so if any more die it will be back to old fashioned plugs.

Back