Cold Weather + Oil

jthree

Turbocharged
Ride
2007 Rocket III Classic
Just heading in to colder weather here and have experienced the "no start" twice now.

Switched to a Shorai battery, what a waste of $ that was! Not a bit of difference:mad:

Has anybody tried running lighter oil in an R3? Something like you would do in a 4 wheeler or the likes.

Cheers

Jthree

You might want to check and clean your starter connection sometimes corrosion will calls voltage drop. clean it well and put some inhibitor grease thought it might be worth a check.

look at Scorpion batteries. This one has worked well for several of us.

YTX20HL-BS Scorpion 12 Volt Powersport Battery

I use this one as it is 320 CCA installed like stocker spins the 11.8:1 compresion over likea madman. If its not enough for you and you have tripple filters stuff a lithium Ferrous battery in the air box. You can run atotal of 920 CCA combined and pull a 39 foot trailer with your starter.

I use this one as it is 320 CCA installed like stocker spins the 11.8:1 compresion over likea madman. If its not enough for you and you have tripple filters stuff a lithium Ferrous battery in the air box. You can run atotal of 920 CCA combined and pull a 39 foot trailer with your starter.

I just installed a Shorai Lithium battery which claims to be 405CCA so I'm confused. I can understand that maybe the stock cables are not heavy enough to take full advantage of the potential current but if you say 320CCA spins it, why would 405CCA not? Note the word "claims" in the previous statement.
I don't have the triple filter setup and don't really want to do that but if I have to I will. The riding season is short enough here without this making it even shorter.

Has anyone ever had the starter rewound to provide more power?

It boggles my mind that Triumph would put out something that cannot start when it's a little cold. It's not like England is known for its tropical climate. I should know, I lived there for the first 30 years of my life :)

Cheers

Jthree

Today's experiment...

I placed heat lamps eithe side of the engine overnight. While it was still a little slow to turn, it fired up just fine. This makes me think that the lighter oil would work. Does anyone know of a down side to this?

Can't be doin' that every night, electricity bill will be through the roof.

Some new automobiles come out with a 10 W 30 in them too bad you couldn't put a freeze plug heater in the block that way a person could put it on a timer and have it kick on an hour or so before you're ready to go.

Some new automobiles come out with a 10 W 30 in them too bad you couldn't put a freeze plug heater in the block that way a person could put it on a timer and have it kick on an hour or so before you're ready to go.

That was my other thinking too. Maybe a four-wheeler or snowmobile block heater could be adapted as I think they go in the coolant line. I feel for research coming on.

I had a 66 XKE Jaguar could not get it to start in cold weather I ended up putting a in-line water heater the only way to get it to run in the winter something about British machinery, thay do not like cold weather :rolleyes:

How about something like THIS

With so many R3s out there in not so warm climates, it's amazing someone hasn't come up with the fix.

Cheers

Jthree

Back