The Only Noel

.020 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket 3 standard
Are these bikes normally hard to start when it's cold? I think I might need a new battery. I took her out the other day and she started right up after every stop. It's 28 degrees outside now and she doesn't want to kick off. Is this common? It does seem like a tiny battery for this massive engine.

It depends on how old your battery is. Might be time for a new one. Of course check cables and clean both top and bottom
The cables are gorgeous, but I can't speak for the battery. The bike is new to me and 12 years old. It starts just fine when it's 30 degrees warmer.

The cables are gorgeous, but I can't speak for the battery. The bike is new to me and 12 years old. It starts just fine when it's 30 degrees warmer.
Ok so definetley conside the battery. I would still check the cables especially at the bottom they are a little tough to get on and ate easily neglected. Also pull each relay amd plug them back in to make sure they have a good connection. Shes a big monster so you can have enough juice to spin her over but not enought for the rest of the electronics.

Are these bikes normally hard to start when it's cold? I think I might need a new battery. I took her out the other day and she started right up after every stop. It's 28 degrees outside now and she doesn't want to kick off. Is this common? It does seem like a tiny battery for this massive engine.

Can’t say I have ever had a problem with a cold weather start, but 28 degrees is getting down there. I did start mine up about a month ago in the cold and it didn’t seem to crank as good as normal. My battery is three years old and is always on an Optimate. This spring it will be time to make a change as I have a new battery setting in the basement ready to acidize. 3 years is the limit I am comfortable with on a bike battery and 5 or 6 in the car. Cold weather will bring out the worst in a battery.

Last edited:
Seems like half of captains never have a problem starting and the other half can't get it to turn over below 40 degrees.
I'm in the second category.

There are numerous remedies; new AGM battery, add a 6 gauge cable to positive and negative, keep it on a tender.

MY favorite, a home made heat plate bungeed to engine sump for 2 hrs or so, bike starts every time.

Takes a lot to crank these bikes so if you battery is showing any sign of weakness I would replace it. It beats taking a chance on getting stranded. Mine didn't like to crank in the cold at all until I gave her a fresh battery.

Noel, I have had this problem starting the second winter from new. My fix over much trial and error has been to upgrade the starter to the Toyota. That has much more torque and uses less amperage to begin with. The battery cables are a big issue as well, they need to be bigger and not corroded at all. I am on my fifth battery now. See the thread on the starter here: Inexpensive Starter Replacement

Last edited:
Back