Coil lead crimp connector fix.

Mittzy

The Hooligan - Just Doing Stuff
Ride
2020 TFC #385, 2014 R3 Roadster 230hp (BRUTUS)
Just did this little modification - a little fiddly to get the number one coil but i had the radiator out anyway.
What i did was simply solder short fly leads onto the coils and replace the crappy spade terminal with a good quality insulated one, now no need to squash the crimp terminal and should not be affected by vibration etc.
IMG_7439.JPG
IMG_7441.JPG
IMG_7442.JPG

Hi Mitzy

Careful with soldering I tried this as a fix on one of my old British bikes once that was giving me some grief (Joe Lucas Prince of Darkness) and had issues with the wire failing just down past the solder joint where the wires had some solder, they vibrated and fractured, had to go back to crimping but purchased a proper crimping tool then (well worth it) Think this allows the wires to move and flex.

Not saying its going to happen just the experience that put me off soldering movable wires on the bike. Maybe tie off somewhere on the fly leads to stop movement?

Hi Mitzy

Careful with soldering I tried this as a fix on one of my old British bikes once that was giving me some grief (Joe Lucas Prince of Darkness) and had issues with the wire failing just down past the solder joint where the wires had some solder, they vibrated and fractured, had to go back to crimping but purchased a proper crimping tool then (well worth it) Think this allows the wires to move and flex.

Not saying its going to happen just the experience that put me off soldering movable wires on the bike. Maybe tie off somewhere on the fly leads to stop movement?
Been soldering stuff for years and never a failure yet

Just did this little modification - a little fiddly to get the number one coil but i had the radiator out anyway.
What i did was simply solder short fly leads onto the coils and replace the crappy spade terminal with a good quality insulated one, now no need to squash the crimp terminal and should not be affected by vibration etc.
IMG_7439.JPG
IMG_7441.JPG
IMG_7442.JPG

I think I'll do that to mine the next time it's tore apart :rolleyes:

Back