Steve Barnes

Barnes199
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket 3
I found I accidentally knocked off a Coil connector on Number one (big thanks to R3 Owners forum and TUNE ECU helping me through that),
Bike was running fine till I tried to take her out for a test run. As soon as I tried to take off, same thing, no power, ran rough and engine light on.
Hooked up Tune ECU and found the same code, (Coil one circuit malfunction) turned bike off and on, same thing, then ( like a sign from above) she began running smooth. I hit clear code and cleared it out fine.
Took her for the ride and ran great.
I'm guessing at this but, I believe I have a time bomb for a Number one Coil.
Or, My dime store stock connectors are worthless.
Would appreciate any input.

I had a problem like this twice once on the way to a motorbike rally. Couldn't get over 120 kph over it would miss. Fixed it the next morning.

And again on the way home from a Triumph riders overnight trip 450 KMs from home I knew I could fix it on the side of the road but if I stuck at the speed limit it ran fine so was a long slow trip home.

All it was, was loose spade connectors.

Crimped them up really tight to each other.

No1 coil was a bit harder ended up over crimping it before connecting it and ended up forcing it on with a screwdriver will never come loose and not sure if I will ever be able to get it off again.

Must admit that it took about 20mins to just fit those two on No1.

Good luck with getting them to fit tight.

Use some dielectric grease too.

I found the connectors to be weak and would constantly work loose. I just recently replaced mine with ones that grip the coils much tighter and also provide better protection from the elements.

I found I accidentally knocked off a Coil connector on Number one (big thanks to R3 Owners forum and TUNE ECU helping me through that),
Bike was running fine till I tried to take her out for a test run. As soon as I tried to take off, same thing, no power, ran rough and engine light on.
Hooked up Tune ECU and found the same code, (Coil one circuit malfunction) turned bike off and on, same thing, then ( like a sign from above) she began running smooth. I hit clear code and cleared it out fine.
Took her for the ride and ran great.
I'm guessing at this but, I believe I have a time bomb for a Number one Coil.
Or, My dime store stock connectors are worthless.
Would appreciate any input.

I guess u r looking for an answer
i do not know this to b a fact on your machine with your problem
sometimes when u set a code the ecu still thinks u have a problem and will act up.
sometimes if u cycle the key a few times it will reset and start working again

Back