CODES AND CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

TURBO200R4

stand up straight and grab the world by the a$$
Ride
07 rocket III classic
Codes and the Check Engine light -
I am starting this thread in hoping that my Rocket friends can help out with the knowledge that they have.
I am willing to admit that the dealers have better scanners that deal with the vehicles that they sell. However, most of them seem to lack the ability to get the job done.
There are many types of codes but for now, I think we should deal with generic OBD codes (P0001 thru P0999 )
There are hard codes (codes that one clears and then they come right back) that are the easiest to find and correct, such as sensor disconnected, shorted, opened, corrosion, wire broken, etc.
And there are soft codes that happen every once in a -- while could be three days or 3 months -- these are hard to find and sometimes take a long time to figure out.
I am trying to help my friend @bernard who has a code P0638. My little code reader said something like "throttle actuator", but looking at the Triumph manual it says "2nd throttle actuator" to which I assume they are referring the secondary throttle motor. However I know that the ECU codes just puts one in the general area to start checking.
My friend has a 2014 roadster Carpenterized w/Dynojet pipes, etc.
I would say that the first thing to do is check the connector on the second gear actuator and see if it's plugged in all the way. Maybe next disconnect it and check for corrosion or pin damage. One can also remove one of the air breathers and see if the throttle plates are still there maybe turn the ignition on and see if they are working. He has told me that the code did not clear. Plus I am thinking he has other troubles with the motor idling.
Will keep you informed.

are you hooked up to tune ecu?

He trailered the roadster to shop and i just put a little code reader/clearer ($100 bosch) to get the code P0638
i think Bernard is going to try to get the tuneecu set up. that would probably help. but for now we r just beginning.
i had the tuneecu but lighting struck my laptop . i have another laptop but i can not get it to connect to my bikes ecu i think i probably need another lonetec cable
i lent him the reader but it would not clear the code. hard code ?

Once you get tune ecu running you can turn of that 2nd throttle and see if code clears after the 5 cycles thing. maybe can narrow down or elimate possibilities with tune ecu running? i have a wireless android obd connector if i can help, decosse said you cant map with it but i think codes is a go and turning things on and off, if i can help let me know, tuner is using my cable right now.

Worth checking this, Carpenter Roadster too (not that the Carpenter bit had anything to do with it). Basically any obstruction to the secondary butterflies moving freely might cause it. Could also be something causing them to stick a little. TuneECU and you can cycle the secs to test them, as well as reset the fault.

Ok did he mess with the secondary throttle position? I've seen people do thing like pull it thinking its the primary TPS and then reinstall it wrong and get a code. Most likely because the ignore tha part about manually opening the secondaries before the reinsert it. Thats the one negative thing about removing the secondarys. Of course now you can just turn the function off with the android tune ecu not the windows version.

Last edited:
Back