RacerX74

06 R3
Ride
The Mighty Triumph Rocket lll (06)
OK after about 600 miles I have now decided to replace the clutch
its noisy but only sometimes ,judders when cold but only sometimes I have trouble engaging 1st from a standstill when hot and I almost never get a smooth shift between 1st and 2nd going up ..the movement on the lever between on and off is about 4mm no matter how much I fiddle with the adjuster
I'm going to replace the cable to and change the oil as well

Any major pit falls of clutch replacement I should avoid ?

Is there any brand of clutch better than another ..would the basket / actuator need replacing ?

as much as I'm loving the old girl the clutch is letting the side down

20k 06 R3

any advice would be appreciated

cheers

I kind of feel your pain. I'm 900 miles from home and bet my lifter shaft is toast. It's a 07 so it it probably has the older style lifter piece. So the wifey is shipping the parts to the east coast where I will be. Good thing the Philadelphia Triumph dealer has the cover gasket.

Anyway there is a few after market clutch fiber sets out there plus maybe Barnett supplies the steels. I have not beard anything bad about any of the aftermarket stuff. OEM are pretty darn good also. You basket should be fine its about a 4 hour job the triumph way. A little faster if you leave the front wheel and fender on. Just put a bath towel over the fender and be carefull pulling the radiator. Also I find it easier to leave the lower radiator hose on the radiator and just crack open the water pump cover to drain and leave the cover attached to the lower radiator hose. As for lifter piece you will have to see what style pressure plate you have.

I was not going to comment but How can a clutch be worn out at 20K? At 25,000 on A 2015 my clutch works better now than when it was new.

OK after about 600 miles I have now decided to replace the clutch
its noisy but only sometimes ,judders when cold but only sometimes I have trouble engaging 1st from a standstill when hot and I almost never get a smooth shift between 1st and 2nd going up ..the movement on the lever between on and off is about 4mm no matter how much I fiddle with the adjuster
I'm going to replace the cable to and change the oil as well

Any major pit falls of clutch replacement I should avoid ?

Is there any brand of clutch better than another ..would the basket / actuator need replacing ?

as much as I'm loving the old girl the clutch is letting the side down

20k 06 R3

any advice would be appreciated

cheers
HAVE you changed the oil and adjusted the clutch ?

So up to 750 miles after a good couple of hours of saddle time in the spring sunshine today

I feel I may have done the R3 a disservice ...perhaps the issue was more pilot than machine also some very fine adjustments to the clutch its much better

what can I say I'm a slow learner

Back