Clutch Question During Break-in

Akita Man

.040 Over
After my 600 mile break in service, I noticed a chirping or squeaking noise when the clutch was engaged especially in 1st gear. Also in Neutral at idle there seemed to be more clutch noise that would stop when the clutch lever was pulled. I wonder if the different oil used in the initial oil change (different from break in oil I believe) caused the transmission to behave differently. All shifts fine and no issues or noises once clutch lever is released.
These issues also seem to have vanished with the added 1000 miles on my recent trip.

Do I just chalk this up to break in noises. Is it an adjustment issue...I have little to no play in my lever pull...should I?

Have any of you experienced this?

After my 600 mile break in service, I noticed a chirping or squeaking noise when the clutch was engaged especially in 1st gear. Also in Neutral at idle there seemed to be more clutch noise that would stop when the clutch lever was pulled. I wonder if the different oil used in the initial oil change (different from break in oil I believe) caused the transmission to behave differently. All shifts fine and no issues or noises once clutch lever is released.
These issues also seem to have vanished with the added 1000 miles on my recent trip.

Do I just chalk this up to break in noises. Is it an adjustment issue...I have little to no play in my lever pull...should I?

Have any of you experienced this?
You need 2 to 3 mm free play in the clutch lever.

clutch adjustment.jpg

You can also verify free play at the lifter shaft arm on the clutch cover if your having a hard time at the lever.

I am not sur ewhat oil you are running but a good 15W50 synthetic oil Like Mobile 1 13W50 4rt. There is plenty of good brands out there. casteroil, AMS oil makes a great 20W50 motorcycle oil also. Motul 300V 15W50.

We had the same noise. At 500 mile service checked clutch free play and it was really tight, no free play at all. Made adjustments and all is fine. Only have 5,000 miles on bike so for but this week we plan on getting it tagged and registered. First oil change was mobil 10-40 seemed to work fine. Plan on changing oil and filter every 5,000 miles. Wix makes oil filter for the rocket that can be purchased at auto store. Part no 51358.

We had the same noise. At 500 mile service checked clutch free play and it was really tight, no free play at all. Made adjustments and all is fine. Only have 5,000 miles on bike so for but this week we plan on getting it tagged and registered. First oil change was mobil 10-40 seemed to work fine. Plan on changing oil and filter every 5,000 miles. Wix makes oil filter for the rocket that can be purchased at auto store. Part no 51358.
Since your bike is new you will need to watch the heat shield bolts some loosen up and makes a good rattle. Also watch the header bolts they work loose for a little while as the gaskets heat cycle a few times. If you notice a little rattle or ticking in the front left it is probably you lifter piece. This is good as it points to proper free play.

You need 2 to 3 mm free play in the clutch lever.

clutch adjustment.jpg

You can also verify free play at the lifter shaft arm on the clutch cover if your having a hard time at the lever.

I am not sur ewhat oil you are running but a good 15W50 synthetic oil Like Mobile 1 13W50 4rt. There is plenty of good brands out there. casteroil, AMS oil makes a great 20W50 motorcycle oil also. Motul 300V 15W50.
I checked the free play...just so I know I am on the same page...the 2mm of adjustment is the amount the lever will move...but the cable will travel as well...correct the 2 mm of movement is the amount the lever, cable and lower arm will move before the clutch springs are felt to engage.

I checked the free play...just so I know I am on the same page...the 2mm of adjustment is the amount the lever will move...but the cable will travel as well...correct the 2 mm of movement is the amount the lever, cable and lower arm will move before the clutch springs are felt to engage.
Yes the free play is the movement of the lifter shaft and lifter piece before it starts to pull on the springs.

The clutch 'free play' issue is very important. My new 2012 had NO FREE PLAY at all and when hot and under a load, during acceleration, the clutch would slip. Assure that the cable itself has play and that the bottom clutch actuator lever fully closes. I had to adjust the bottom cable adjustment and then the one at the lever and fully lube the cable. No more slippage in the last 1,000+ miles;)

Unless Triumph is different, there is no such thing as the fabled 'break in oil.':sneaky:

Sam:)

Back