Clutch not disengaging.

2rockets

.020 Over
I correctly diagnosed a broken detent spring thanks to some knowledgeable people on this forum. (thanks warp 9.9) . I pulled the front cover off and found both pieces of the detent spring. I pulled the clutch apart and carefully laid everything down on newspaper exactly as it came apart. Replaced the spring and put it all back together as it came apart. I oiled the fiber plates as I put them back in. Put the clutch cover and radiator back on, adjusted the clutch cable, congradulated myself on a job well done and had a few adult beverages. Today I replaced the quart of oil that came out and filled the radiator. Started her up and dropped it in gear and she went clunk and stalled the motor. I took up some slack in the clutch cable with the same result. I kept playing with the cable adjustment until I knew it was too tight just trying to get the clutch to disengage but it kept stalling the motor. The clutch feels normal, but it isn't releasing. Not really looking forward to pulling it all apart again and don't know what I would be looking for anyway as I thought I put it together right. Any ideas?

How long did you have the clutch plates lying around outside of the engine for? If they dry out they need to be oiled before reassembly or they will refuse to disengage.

I have successfully had bikes in neutral with the front wheel against a wall, pulled the clutch in, given it some revs and banged it into gear and this shock is enough to free the plates off. Really only a last resort option though, I have also knackered a clutch using this method. If you are absolutely 100% sure and confident that everything was reassembled correctly then it is probably dry sticking plates. Safest option is to disassemble, oil them up and reassemble again.

It caught me out the first time i ever replaced a clutch on a bike. Rebuilt the thing 3 times before realising the plates needed oiled.

I correctly diagnosed a broken detent spring thanks to some knowledgeable people on this forum. (thanks warp 9.9) . I pulled the front cover off and found both pieces of the detent spring. I pulled the clutch apart and carefully laid everything down on newspaper exactly as it came apart. Replaced the spring and put it all back together as it came apart. I oiled the fiber plates as I put them back in. Put the clutch cover and radiator back on, adjusted the clutch cable, congradulated myself on a job well done and had a few adult beverages. Today I replaced the quart of oil that came out and filled the radiator. Started her up and dropped it in gear and she went clunk and stalled the motor. I took up some slack in the clutch cable with the same result. I kept playing with the cable adjustment until I knew it was too tight just trying to get the clutch to disengage but it kept stalling the motor. The clutch feels normal, but it isn't releasing. Not really looking forward to pulling it all apart again and don't know what I would be looking for anyway as I thought I put it together right. Any ideas?
The plates were out for a couple weeks and looked fairly dry when I took them out.But the clutch was working fine. I oiled the fibers as I put them back in.

Just to rule out the silly but possible, you did have the sidestand up when you put it in gear?
Silly,yes. but possible with an idiot like me! You nailed it. Thank you so much. The bike is strapped on the lift and I didn't think about the kickstand switch probably because I disconnected the switch on the bike I usually ride. I owe you a beer, you saved me a ton of aggravation.

Back