Clutch Modification

sleeves

Nitrous
Ride
05 R3 Std
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the old clutch actuation system may be upgraded with new parts. I understand there is some machining involved but this is OK. Tried searching but couldn't find.

Something to to with the actuator rod and bearing? My bike is an 05 and they changed in 2008 I think?

As my gear change seems to be rubbish no matter what I try I am considering trying the modfication, as later gearboxes seem much nicer on the shift and mine clunks, crunches and graunches its way through the gears, sometimes its fine, sometimes its embarrassing.

Trying to find out what parts I will need to order before I pull it apart, not worried about engine gaskets, etc, just the clutch parts I'll need and/or a quick description.

As always thanks in advance.

Im not sure about your clutch but when my engine was out I had second gear, and the detent wheel and arm assembly replaced with the revised parts from later rockets. It felt like it shortened the travel on the shifter slightly between gears, and it made gear selections a lot crisper and more positive.

The clutch upgrade parts were to prevent component failure rather than improve operation.

My 2c ... If your satisfied that the clutch is properly adjusted and the fibres are in good nick I'd be more inclined to think your noises are symptomatic of gearbox wear...particularly the shifting forks and dog gears.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the old clutch actuation system may be upgraded with new parts. I understand there is some machining involved but this is OK. Tried searching but couldn't find.

Something to to with the actuator rod and bearing? My bike is an 05 and they changed in 2008 I think?

As my gear change seems to be rubbish no matter what I try I am considering trying the modfication, as later gearboxes seem much nicer on the shift and mine clunks, crunches and graunches its way through the gears, sometimes its fine, sometimes its embarrassing.

Trying to find out what parts I will need to order before I pull it apart, not worried about engine gaskets, etc, just the clutch parts I'll need and/or a quick description.

As always thanks in advance.
The only difference is the lifter piece, pressure plate, and the bearing. If you had the dimensions and a machine shop you could machine the old pressure plaplate to except the new bearing as the casting is the same.

These are the parts @ratsidecar spoke of. The one the right is the new design. He is correct, it really firms up the feel of the gear changes.

IMG_20170812_161439531.jpg

The clutch upgrade parts were to prevent component failure rather than improve operation.

My 2c ... If your satisfied that the clutch is properly adjusted and the fibres are in good nick I'd be more inclined to think your noises are symptomatic of gearbox wear...particularly the shifting forks and dog gears.

Hi Mr Hunt. I have owned this bike since it had 1200km's on it and 10 years now and its always been rubbish. No matter what clutch adjustments I try cannot filter out the "clunkyness" I am very concerned about the long term wear and tear on the gearbox because of the poor shift. I am at the point now where I am prepared to pull it apart to have a look but want to get some parts in preparation. Spoke with @Paul Bryant he's not satisfied with his change either so am prepared to experiment.

Am planning to replace plates and springs too.

Last edited:
The only difference is the lifter piece, pressure plate, and the bearing. If you had the dimensions and a machine shop you could machine the old pressure plaplate to except the new bearing as the casting is the same.

Thanks Warp, this is the change I was thinking of, we have the machine shop @Paul Bryant so that's OK and I shouldn't need the pressure plate but will purchase if not too pricey.

What year lifter plate, pressure plate and bearing do I need to order?

Also will replace the parts as per @Rocket Scientist post above also.

Just want to get parts ordered before dismantle.

For what it's worth I'm still running the earliest iteration of clutch parts in my 05' and it shifts like a Honda now. I don't think clutch parts are the problem. I did have my gears backcut at the same time. Not sure which helped more, backcut or late model detent wheel.

For what it's worth I'm still running the earliest iteration of clutch parts in my 05' and it shifts like a Honda now. I don't think clutch parts are the problem. I did have my gears backcut at the same time. Not sure which helped more, backcut or late model detent wheel.

Thanks, trying to avoid pulling the gearbox and it doesn't jump out or miss gears which I think is the purpose of undercutting gears as discussed with @Paul Bryant yesterday?, its just not "nice" like a Honda gearbox. Going to replace clutch plates and springs so while I'm in there wanted to "upgrade".

The change feels to me like my old Bonneville when I don't balance the pressure plate correctly, when the clutch is activated the imbalance (or angle) on the pressure plate drags the other plates causing poor gear-change even though I get good movement. On the Bonnie this was always fixed with patient adjustment of the four screws that load the clutch springs and pressure plate.

Been thinking this may be the issue with my R3 changes going for the detent wheel too.

Thanks again for good input.

Back