Clutch lever Switch

captain jack

Turbocharged
Having trouble with the clutch lever switch, I am told that it is possible to buy a new switch with just the tails which can then be soldered in to the existing loom. Triumph it seems only supply the switch & full harness which can be a bigger job than is needed, anyone know where these switches are available, probably aftermarket 3rd party but so what. Also how does the original switch come out

The switch can be accessed fairly easily. Try cleaning it before replacing it. WD40 works wonders.

Loosen the clutch cable adjustment and remove cable from lever. Remove the pin that holds the clutch lever. Spray copious amounts of WD40 into the switch. Clean up excess. Put it all back together and make sure that the clutch has the correct amount of play.

Done all that now, switch seems fine but bike starts without clutch disengaged. New levers fitted on Sat. but having now looked at them the switch plunger seems to be missing the lever as it seems to thin to contact the plunger. If I'm right then so much for ASV.

It sounds like the switch is stuck in the "pushed in" position, which would mean that the bike will start without you having to pull the clutch in to put it in that position. Try WD40, but you may also have to pull the plunger out to free it up.

The plunger is free, but as the flange of the new lever is thin the plunger of the switch slides underneath it. The plunger is pushed in when running & released fully out when the lever is pulled

I just cleaned mine Monday, WD 40 and no more dead push-to-start button. It sounds like you solved the issue, the lever is not contacting the push pin and it will start with the clutch out. Took me a moment to figure out the switch, makes sense and works good. Can you add a flange to the new lever to contact the pin?
Mike

Back