clutch lever pivot pin?

roame

.020 Over
Ride
2016 Roadster
I developed an occasional shifting problem, primarily hitting neutral. I had to be certain I had the lever fully pulled. I tried adjusting the clutch which solved the shifting problem but then my clutch wanted to slip when accelerating. So all that said. I removed the pivot pin and pulled out the clutch lever from the handlebar to have a look.
The pivot pin is about 6mm in diameter while the hole in the lever appears to be about 10mm. I'm wondering if there is a bushing that should be taking up all that slack. I have a service manual of sorts, but the exploded view doesn't show any bushing. Have any of you looked at this. I've put a nylon bushing in to see what results but haven't been out to test yet. The weathers not right and I don't want to be in a rush when I check it out.

That's what I think, I just don't have any idea how it came to be Lost? Even a soft material should have left some evidence behind. Any idea of what it should be made of? I did one in nylon and it helps, thought I'd go ahead and make one out of aluminum. I didn't worry about close tolerance with the nylon, so there is still some slack.

I have an R3T. Unfortuntately, I'm not able to look at it at the moment. I can tell for certain, however, that you shouldn't have slop so I'd say you're missing a piece. But again, I can't look at mine to tell you what it's made of at the moment.

I made a bushing out of some parts from the hardware. I got a good fit and eliminated the slack. I'll just have to wait for some slightly warmer temps to see if this solves my problem. In the meantime I've got some new shocks to install.

Roame if your try it with the clutch adjusted as you explained earlier that slipping means you have to much tension on the lifter piece. this will burn up your lifter shaft until you feel it snap. After installing your home made bushing you would be better of adjusting the clutch cable again .

should be about 2-3mm endplay(slop) as shown above
Lifter shafts can be touchy and are about 45.00 without any discount!
and about 4 hours of labor

I looked at the parts list and the exploded view in the service manual for your bushing. According to the book, there is no bushing. It's just a shoulder bolt, nut and the clutch lever. Are you sure it has the right bolt or that the cluch lever isn't just worn out?
The diagram shows that the brake lever has the same setup, I'd take a look at both and compare to make sure something isn't just missing the right part.
My scanner is on the fritz, but if you have a fax available I can send you a copy of the diagram.

Hell fire is right about the clutch lever not having a bushing or atleast the ones I took of my Classic does not.I could not see whether you had a R3T or not but mine measue about .335" or 8.5 mm tight .328 feels just right in her with a little room for lube. The brake lever has a bronze bushing in it. I went with Pazzo levers on mine. they have more adjustment in and out.

The diagram showed a 6mm shoulder bolt (built in bushing), that's why I was thinking maybe it had the incorrect bolt. If he bought it used, maybe it had aftermarket levers on it at one time and when factory versions were put back on it still had the bolts that went with the others and THEY had bushings. Just a thought, stranger things have happend.

Last edited:
Back