Clutch drag/clunking into gear

Simon

.020 Over
Ride
2010 classic
Just had my first ride of my rocket I bought as a project (bits stolen) in November 2013.
It's my third rocket, and although I hadn't ridden one for a few years, I thought I knew what to expect but I was still gobsmacked by the amount of guts even a standard rocket has! this is one grin making bike!
While it's been laid up in my garage I adjusted the clutch cable so it didn't "Clunk" so badly into first gear, however, when I rode it I noticed the clutch slipping very badly.
I re -adjusted the cable and now it doesn't slip at all but it does make a hell of a clunk going into first…Is this something I should expect?
My last bike was a BMW K1200LT and you couldn't even hear it going into first!
Simon

My guess would be a burnt up worn lifter shaft!!!! and your not getting enough travel out it it to proper pull the lifter piece and release the clutch unless you take all the free play out which will make the clutch slip.

Whats the lifter shaft? how do I check it? is it a major job to replace it if worn (why am I asking….I just KNOW it will be!)

Simon

Goth has a point there you can set the clutch lever at number 4 then check to insure you have the free play set to 2 to 3 mm and see if your still having the problems. If so then I am bck to my first conclusion which is a burnt/worn lifter shaft which probably looks like the one below on the right.

below is a picture from the manual showing the way to chack the free play gap

A easier way to check the clutch free play verses what the manual shows is below

with the clutch lever in normal position look at the cable sheath ferrow you can see its right up against the clutch lever housing.

No without pulling the cluth lever pull on the cable sheath and measure the gap between the ferrow and the knurled adjusting sleeve like below

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated
I do have the adjustment set on number 4. At the moment there is NO free play and still getting bad clunking/clutch drag!
Seems like there's a teardown on the horizon!
It's a 2010 registered classic (mfr'd 2008) with 18,000 miles on it
Simon

I do have the adjustment set on number 4. At the moment there is NO free play and still getting bad clunking/clutch drag!
Simon

Ok as for the type of Rocket it does not matter the clutch is basically the same. The only changes have been pressure plate and bearing in the early year mid 05 and older and the lifte rpiece has been changed also. When you open her up I can tell with just a picture if it is the newer style or not. you say its a classic which that series ended in 09 so to make sur ewhat you have just look at the left front frame tube and it will have a build date. A classic came stock with floor boards a two toned paint job and no ABS brakes let me know what you have. A picuter is worth 1000 words.

Ian is right about the time frame if its your first time after that two hours tops and you do not have to pull the front wheel and fender as the book states.

That's your problem , set it to 1.

Simon

Thanks chaps don't know why the eight (in 2008 bike) came out as a smiley!
Yes, classic...did have two tone paint and floorboards but both removed now!
All parts I've seen on the bike have 2008 stamped on them also.
Simon

That's your problem , set it to 1.

Sorry, I'm giving the wrong information there, it's already on number one and NOT four (that's what you get for not checking first)
I guess that means I've already got the maximum amount of movement.....
Simon

Back