DodahMan

Turbocharged
Ride
Yamaha Roadstar, 2011 Triumph Rocket III Tour
Folks, I feel like an idiot. I fabricated a pair of 2 inch riser extensions this weekend out of billet aluminum. While installing them today, I had an issue with the clutch cable so I thought I would loosen it up then reinstall and reset. I got the bars mounted ok but I simply can not manage to get the clutch cable set.
It's almost as if something happened inside the clutch its self. I took the pawl arm off the clutch stud and no matter how I position it, I can not manage to get tension on the clutch cable.

Any ideas? Could I have screwed something up inside the clutch?

When all else fails, read the instructions ?

One does need to be careful when releasing the clutch cable at the clutch end, to retain the lever arm, as the spring on the shaft is not positively retained, and once let go, the shaft will spin clockwise, and it is possible for the spring inside to pop out of the retention slot. If that is the case (I would defer to the cognoscenti here for a non-standard method), you're looking at removing the entire clutch cover (22 bolts, clean mating surfaces, install new gasket) just to put that spring back where it belongs.

One does need to be careful when releasing the clutch cable at the clutch end, to retain the lever arm, as the spring on the shaft is not positively retained, and once let go, the shaft will spin clockwise, and it is possible for the spring inside to pop out of the retention slot. If that is the case (I would defer to the cognoscenti here for a non-standard method), you're looking at removing the entire clutch cover (22 bolts, clean mating surfaces, install new gasket) just to put that spring back where it belongs.
I bet that is exactly what I have to do. Good grief, I sure wish I had known about that beforehand. I have done many bikes taking the actuator arm off the shaft, no problems. Why in the h€££ did they design it that way?

I do believe you can install a spring on the outside. Mr Warp is the "know" guy.;)

Ok. In the manual I downloaded, I thought one page depicted sa spring on the outside of the cable but the R3T does not. Here is a question for you . . .
So, when that shifter arm lifts that clutch IS disengaging no matter what? Is that correct? If so, I will just slide a spring on the outside of the cable. I have no interest in tearing out the clutch just reset a spring. What a nightmare of engineering but this is how the Britts do things, I had better get used to it.

Last edited:
Let's add some people to this discussion, maybe they can help.

@warp9.9

@Mittzy

@Claviger

@idk has a link to the manual in his signature, look for one of his posts.

bob
Thank you. I downloaded the manual and it's a great help but no warning about an internal spring within the clutch assembly slipping off
The arm and shaft have two dimbles which are hard to see but they have to be lined up
I saw those dimples but no way they will line up. The cable is just not long enough when they line up. I will take a picture and post it.

IMG_1091.JPG
The arm and shaft have two dimbles which are hard to see but they have to be lined up

Here is a pic of how things are now. No way dimples can light up.

On pages 4 dot 5, 6, 7 and 8 there is not one mention or depiction of an internal spring for the cable within the clutch housing. At least I could not find it.

Back