Clutch cable adjustment

ricochet

Rocket Captain
Ride
2012 Rocket III Roadster
Hey guys

3rd time riding my rocket and I've decided I want to adjust my clutch lever to make the transmission kick in much sooner. Right now the lever goes almost all the way out before the bike starts moving and I don't like that. I want the bike to start moving as soon as I start releasing the clutch. Which direction do I move the adjustment part?
image.jpg

DONT go there the adjustment must allow you to have 2-3 mm free play .if you play around with this your lifter shaft will fail and need replacement. adjustment on the lever settings is all you can do

DONT go there the adjustment must allow you to have 2-3 mm free play .if you play around with this your lifter shaft will fail and need replacement. adjustment on the lever settings is all you can do
****. I tried doing some adjustment. Where can I check the 2-3mm adjustment exactly? I am not sure if I left it exactly where it was.

How do you know if you have the right adjustment? No matter how small you move the lever it pulls down at the bottom near the motor. Is it supposed to be loose?

Last edited:
My clutch starts to take up as soon as I start releasing the lever and has been that way for over 60,000 km. The adjustment on the lever is for reach, so it will help with what you're wanting by not allowing the lever to travel in as far. Same can happen with fatter grips (like ISO grips). You just need to make sure it's properly disengaging the transmission when you pull it in all the way. Adjustment on the cable can't hurt as long as you maintain the correct amount of free play. Turn the adjuster so that it lengthens the outer cable to make it take up earlier.

My clutch starts to take up as soon as I start releasing the lever and has been that way for over 60,000 km. The adjustment on the lever is for reach, so it will help with what you're wanting by not allowing the lever to travel in as far. Same can happen with fatter grips (like ISO grips). You just need to make sure it's properly disengaging the transmission when you pull it in all the way. Adjustment on the cable can't hurt as long as you maintain the correct amount of free play. Turn the adjuster so that it lengthens the outer cable to make it take up earlier.

That was my original question , looking at the picture which way does the nut need to move to make it take up earlier? Pedro has me freaked out now that I made an adjustment at all.

Regarding free play how do you know you are doing it, on my Suzuki the lever was literally just wobbly or loose with the free play but the rocket lever is solid tight from in to out. No wobbly lever at all. The moment you pull the lever I can see the lifter on the motor moving. Should it not move at all for 2-3mm?

just checked mine
the lever on front of engine starts moving as soon as you move the lever. however when the lever opens (about 2-3mm where the lever meets the stop close to the cable adjustment) it should start disengaging the clutch.
when i try to disengage the clutch (the lever on engine) by hand it moves a little then gets hard to move.
if this does not explain well enough you can try this.
trun the cable adjuster in so as to shorten the outer cable you should get enough slack to be able to move hand lever and not move engine lever. from there adjust the cable adjuster out to get the 2-3 mm clearance.
if you are still in doubt you will probably need some one that can explain better than me. i am not that good at explaining.

just checked mine
the lever on front of engine starts moving as soon as you move the lever. however when the lever opens (about 2-3mm where the lever meets the stop close to the cable adjustment) it should start disengaging the clutch.
when i try to disengage the clutch (the lever on engine) by hand it moves a little then gets hard to move.
if this does not explain well enough you can try this.
trun the cable adjuster in so as to shorten the outer cable you should get enough slack to be able to move hand lever and not move engine lever. from there adjust the cable adjuster out to get the 2-3 mm clearance.
if you are still in doubt you will probably need some one that can explain better than me. i am not that good at explaining.
I went to check. I pushed the lever on the engine side and the lever moved 3mm in. Then it was too hard to push. If that's what you did it looks like the spacing is there I think

To move where the clutch takes up at you need to lengthen the cable sheath. by extending the adjustment down where it mounts tot he bracket on the clutch housing.

2009_10030001.JPG

then set the free play as per maual.

clutch adjustment.jpg

some people find this hard to set the Triumph way but if you want a easier way check the free play on the sheath at the ferrel
with the lever untouched notice the aluminum feerel by the cable adjuster is flush with the clutch handle.

then with the clutch handle out pull on the cable sheath and measure the gap at the ferrel

I hope this helps

Back