Clutch adjustment

Nat67

Rockgoblin
Ride
Rocket 3 2010 roadster
Do you guys notice a big difference in clutch cable free play when the engine is hot as opposed to cold ?
I generally check the free play before every startup and am finding that the 3mm at the lever when cold becomes nearer 5 mm
After a run !
When the engine has cooled , free play once again returns to 3mm .
If I were to set the free play when the engine was hot it would be way too tight the next time I was to run the bike .
Just an observation ! :)

Do you guys notice a big difference in clutch cable free play when the engine is hot as opposed to cold ?
I generally check the free play before every startup and am finding that the 3mm at the lever when cold becomes nearer 5 mm
After a run !
When the engine has cooled , free play once again returns to 3mm .
If I were to set the free play when the engine was hot it would be way too tight the next time I was to run the bike .
Just an observation ! :)
The difference your feeling in the difference between the lifter piece being fully in the while running and when it has been pushed back out of the roller bearing by the return spring on the lifter shaft.

Yes. When she's hot she's a little loose. The rocket is just like a women. Lol.

I noticed this because when the dealer adjusted mine at the first service he did it while the bike was cold. I fixed it. I wish triumph would have done a hydraulic clutch on this bike though!

You only check it at every start up?

I pull over after a period of time, algorithmically determined, factoring in ambient temperature, barometric pressure, average speed in metres/second, stainless steel cable fatigue times by days of service relative to plastic sheath expansion correlated with number of gear changes divided by kilometers travelled expressed as a ratio of gearbox rebuilds. Then I measure free play in millimeters and tabulate against a matrix of bees dicks (x axis) versus poofteenths (y axis).

Its usually within spec....:thumbsup:

I pull over after a period of time, algorithmically determined, factoring in ambient temperature, barometric pressure, average speed in metres/second, stainless steel cable fatigue times by days of service relative to plastic sheath expansion correlated with number of gear changes divided by kilometers travelled expressed as a ratio of gearbox rebuilds. Then I measure free play in millimeters and tabulate against a matrix of bees dicks (x axis) versus poofteenths (y axis).

Very funny ! :p

Phew - thought it was just me.

Ok you piss taking buggers , the point I was making was the fact that a new owner may possibly benefit from being aware of this , but wishing I not bothered now ! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Back