Clunky shifts 2012 R3R

Rob D

Bolted Dolt
A general question I've had on my mind for a while; does anyone know how to reduce or stop the clunky shifts?
I've seen some answers here but they seem to be older. Looking for something fresh.

I just purchased a 2012 Rocket III roadster with 8K miles on it. Rode it 1900 miles from where I picked it up to my home. I thought the shifting was "clunky". I owned 2 Honda Valkyries and they are so "refined" if I may say, compared to the Rocket. (My thinking on the way home). First thing I did was to change the oil. I used the recommended Castrol 10W-40 Racing oil per the manual. TOTALLY DIFFERENT SHIFTING AFTER THAT!!! Just my observation for my bike only, and anecdotal at that, but using the recommended oil made a huge difference. Hope this helps.

I just purchased a 2012 Rocket III roadster with 8K miles on it. Rode it 1900 miles from where I picked it up to my home. I thought the shifting was "clunky". I owned 2 Honda Valkyries and they are so "refined" if I may say, compared to the Rocket. (My thinking on the way home). First thing I did was to change the oil. I used the recommended Castrol 10W-40 Racing oil per the manual. TOTALLY DIFFERENT SHIFTING AFTER THAT!!! Just my observation for my bike only, and anecdotal at that, but using the recommended oil made a huge difference. Hope this helps.

Since mine is an 05, the Triumph recommended oil then was Mobile 1 - I think I will switch Castrol @ the next oil change & see if that helps mine....
Any Guru feedback is welcome please :unsure:

Intruders have clunky shifting, but if you change the oil, they shift real nice for a couple hundred miles. Weirdest thing I ever saw, but they are all like that.

I had my gears undercut and switched to Amsoil. I'm not sure which gave the best results, but my transmission is smooth.

I had my gears undercut and switched to Amsoil. I'm not sure which gave the best results, but my transmission is smooth.

You mean you had your gears shaved down? Wow.

Back