hottdogg

Standard Bore
Bought a rocket 3 classic recently and love the bike my only critiscism is it one seriously clunky gearbox, first to second really clunky[ i know most bikes are like this in this paticular gear] but then second to third seems even worse one serious clunk,:eek: reminds me of the wife slamming the door when she ffinds out im blowing more money on bike stuff:) but then rest of the gears up the box not quite so bad, dealer told me they all do this and should improve with mileage, my bikes on 2800 miles ,and still seems the same, is there a reason why those first two gears are worse then the rest? heard the rocket 3 tourer box isnt so clunky?

How many miles on it?

It wasn't until @12k that mine start to 'loosen' up. I used to have a really tough time getting it into neutral. I've been beating the heck out of it for 14k and have a tranny problem.

Can you tell I have my fingers crossed? I hope I haven't jinxed myself.

My '09 Classic has almost 5k on it and it makes the same clunk sound as when it had 500 miles. Everything is in tolerance according to the dealer; it will be in for service next week and I'll have them check the shift forks and rod adjustments. Some bikes seem to clunk more than others; ironically, it's the bikes that seem to last a long time that do it (my BMW R12RT felt like the engine and trans were going to come out of the 'frame' sometimes).

my 08 r3c with 8000 miles was the same way untill about 6k try running the rpms to 3000 before shifting this helped mine alot !!

Thankyou for all the replies, at least i know im not alone:) did try revving to 3k revs and did seem to improve a bit.

I've got over 90,000km's on my 06 Classic.
I still clunks worst in 1st and less in 2nd.... but certainly better than when new.
Maybe 10,000km's before it settled down and has remained the same since then.

To be honest, I have had better shifting bikes...... but have come to accept this pedestrian noise because it come mounted on a bike which puts such a large grin on my face every time I twist the throttle. No bike I have ever owned has caused this much grin factor. So I say good ridance to slower well shifting bikes:D

Back