M.J

Supercharged
Ride
Triumph Rocket III 2005/ Triumph Rocket 3 R 2020
Had a clunking noise on slow pull away whilst padding along with my feet in garage looking on here found Sleeves a member had the same problem but his turned out to be a problem in the clutch I didn't think or hoped it was not the case for me so I changed clutch cable and adjusted to the 2/3mm play and its cured the problem I think it was 50% me and 50% cable as keeping bike in the friction zone when just started up was causingtthe clunking as the clutch was not completely off but since changing out the cable it seems to be OK has anyone else ever had this problem

Had a clunking noise on slow pull away whilst padding along with my feet in garage looking on here found Sleeves a member had the same problem but his turned out to be a problem in the clutch I didn't think or hoped it was not the case for me so I changed clutch cable and adjusted to the 2/3mm play and its cured the problem I think it was 50% me and 50% cable as keeping bike in the friction zone when just started up was causingtthe clunking as the clutch was not completely off but since changing out the cable it seems to be OK has anyone else ever had this problem
when you changed the cable did you remove the liftershaft arm from the clutch liftershaft? if so I've seen some early shaft not marked for alignment or set a tooth or so off this and proper adjustment could make the change. since you changed the cable you can cut the old one and look for damage. Also when changing the cable the location of the nut on the bottom of the cable can increase or decrease cable sheath length which can also affect the clutch pull and adjustment.

P
when you changed the cable did you remove the liftershaft arm from the clutch liftershaft? if so I've seen some early shaft not marked for alignment or set a tooth or so off this and proper adjustment could make the change. since you changed the cable you can cut the old one and look for damage. Also when changing the cable the location of the nut on the bottom of the cable can increase or decrease cable sheath length which can also affect the clutch pull and adjustment.
didn't have to just changed cable and adjusted it all is good I just wanted to know if anyone else has had the clunking as I described when doing what I explained

Oh ok the clunking is the the engaging of the gear whilst the input shaft is still being slightly driven by the clutch drag. Which could be free play adjustment, cable length adjustment followed by a freeplay check adjustment, it could also be warped steels which then make the clutch drag, as well as burnt and disintegrating lifter shaft fingers. And well the bike does like some oils better then the others when ut comes to lubricity.

Bike has just had full service oils the lot by Triumph my mechanic who worked on Rockets for 15 years said its normal doing what I was doing as you said especially if clutch not adjusted properly to much free play

Oh ok the clunking is the the engaging of the gear whilst the input shaft is still being slightly driven by the clutch drag. Which could be free play adjustment, cable length adjustment followed by a freeplay check adjustment, it could also be warped steels which then make the clutch drag, as well as burnt and disintegrating lifter shaft fingers. And well the bike does like some oils better then the others when ut comes to lubricity.
Thank you very much for your time and interest in my post

Had a clunking noise on slow pull away whilst padding along with my feet in garage in looking on here found Sleeves a member had the same problem but his turned out to be a problem in the clutch I didn't think or hoped it was not the case for me so I changed clutch cable and adjusted to the 2/3mm play and its cured the problem I think it was 50% me and 50% cable as keeping bike in the friction zone when just started up was causing the clunking as the clutch was not completely off but since changing out the cable it seems to be OK has anyone else ever had this problem

Your description matches the same situation where I get a momentary clunking or chatter. It only occurs, "...whilst padding along with my feet in garage....." or similar slow maneuvering situation. I think in my case it is simply the result of having too little revs and/or feathering the clutch too much(or too little?) during maneuvering around in the garage or wherever. I'm pretty sure the momentary clunk/chatter I get is from driveshaft snatch somewhere between the damper shaft and the bevel box. It stops as soon as I fully release(disengage) the clutch. At least I hope it is nothing more than that. :unsure:

Your description matches the same situation where I get a momentary clunking or chatter. It only occurs, "...whilst padding along with my feet in garage....." or similar slow maneuvering situation. I think in my case it is simply the result of having too little revs and/or feathering the clutch too much(or too little?) during maneuvering around in the garage or wherever. I'm pretty sure the momentary clunk/chatter I get is from driveshaft snatch somewhere between the damper shaft and the bevel box. It stops as soon as I fully release(disengage) the clutch. At least I hope it is nothing more than that. :unsure:
:thumbsup::thumbsdown::thumbsup:
You are spot on the same as me when you give it more revs it does not happen and trying to keep the clutch in the friction zone with to little revs makes it happen and paddling along same as you your symptoms are exactly the same as mine except mine was made worse by a stretched clutch cable so renewed that used more revs and now it doesn't happen done all this today after thinking the worse don't worry my friend you know what it is and how to cure it the same as I have Thanks for the mail it must happened to many but never mention it

Back