Clunking Solved

M.J

Supercharged
Ride
Triumph Rocket III 2005/ Triumph Rocket 3 R 2020
I posted before about clunking sound when feathering clutch and trying to stay in the friction zone with the clutch,i thought i had solved it with a new clutch cable but only for 1 ride then back to the clunking.I took the bike to a friend who worked on the rockets for 15yrs to strip the clutch down,when he did he found the anti judder spring had been installed the wrong way round at the factory,as the bike has only done 8000mls and he knew the clutch that has never been changed.Well that is not good, but Sleeves on here had exactly the same thing with his bike,installed wrong at factory,i wonder how many other bikes have had this problem,an easy fix but only if you want to fit a new clutch or have the same problem,but solved now,hope this info helps others with the same problem. M J

Thanks for the reply never dreamed the factory would do that but all human i guess M J

Update on new clutch,friend thats doing the clutch on my bike called yesterday,he had been to Triumph factory talking to the technical team and to get a clutch basket.According to the technical team this clunking was a problem with a lot of the early models,the anti judder spring installed wrong,so once they found the problem the decided to upgrade a lot of the clutch components and also the Basket,which cured the problem totally,so he is going all the way on the bike and renewing everything in there,with all the upgraded stuff,i suppose it makes sense whilst it is all stripped down,to make sure the problem has been solved totally,the technical team advised the upgraded basket as well as the heavy duty clutch and lifter and other bits. The clutch that came out had very little wear as the bike has 8000 miles on it but had to come out anyway so if anyone else has this problem this is the answer hope it helps others MJ

Hola desde España !!!
Sabes en qué años de modelos ocurre este problema ??? La mía es del 2006
¿Son los síntomas exactamente? Al acelerar ??
Es curiosidad y por querer aprender más sobre la mecánica de nuestra moto
Lo siento mucho pero no hablo inglés y al traducir sus mensajes hay cosas que no entiendo, muchas gracias por su atención
Saludos

DeepL:

Hello from Spain!

Do you know in which model years this problem occurs? Mine is from 2006
Are these the symptoms exactly? By accelerating ??
It is curiosity and wanting to learn more about the mechanics of our bike
I'm very sorry but I don't speak English and when translating your messages there are things I don't understand, thank you very much for your attention
Greetings

Last edited by a moderator:
Update on new clutch,friend thats doing the clutch on my bike called yesterday,he had been to Triumph factory talking to the technical team and to get a clutch basket.According to the technical team this clunking was a problem with a lot of the early models,the anti judder spring installed wrong,so once they found the problem the decided to upgrade a lot of the clutch components and also the Basket,which cured the problem totally,so he is going all the way on the bike and renewing everything in there,with all the upgraded stuff,i suppose it makes sense whilst it is all stripped down,to make sure the problem has been solved totally,the technical team advised the upgraded basket as well as the heavy duty clutch and lifter and other bits. The clutch that came out had very little wear as the bike has 8000 miles on it but had to come out anyway so if anyone else has this problem this is the answer hope it helps others MJ
Can you post a parts list with numbers receipt when done in case others need to do. Thanks

Hola desde España !!!
Sabes en qué años de modelos ocurre este problema ??? La mía es del 2006
¿Son los síntomas exactamente? Al acelerar ??
Es curiosidad y por querer aprender más sobre la mecánica de nuestra moto
Lo siento mucho pero no hablo inglés y al traducir sus mensajes hay cosas que no entiendo, muchas gracias por su atención
Saludos

DeepL:

Hello from Spain!

Do you know in which model years this problem occurs? Mine is from 2006
Are these the symptoms exactly? By accelerating ??
It is curiosity and wanting to learn more about the mechanics of our bike
I'm very sorry but I don't speak English and when translating your messages there are things I don't understand, thank you very much for your attention
Greetings
From what i understand it was most common in 2004/2005 but hey if its human error there is nothing to say that a fitter could do this in any bike,the anti judder spring can go on either way and the clutch still works,but one way gets you what i had the right way does not,if you read all my posts on the subject i list the exact symptoms if you need anymore info just ask i will try to explain in more depth MJ

But are they human?????????? after all the factory is in England???????????
But all Rockets are made in England so human or not thats where your bike comes from maybe monkeys but just shows you how clever English monkeys are,just as well they dont use Scottish monkeys who knows what we would be riding

Can you post a parts list with numbers receipt when done in case others need to do. Thanks
The whole rebuild was a complete clutch Basket,Lifter,new type Bearing,all the parts are what is used in the newer bikes,so its the upgraded clutch set including the newer type Basket but it is not a cheap fix i have to say but if it cures the problem then i guess it is worth it.My friend did all the work and only used Triumph parts as he worked for them for 15yrs,and after talking to the tech guys at the factory they advised him to renew the lot whilst the bike was down,i dont have part numbers as i did not do the job or get the parts,what i have just told you is all the info i have MJ

Back