Clunking noise

sixpack

Supercharged
06 R3 14000 mi. While out riding, I noticed that sometimes when I went over a bump, which caused my right hand to "rock " the throttle, I would hear a "clunking" sound from the power train area,, it also happens during a roll on and off if I catch up to my buddies too quickly,, any ideas??:confused:

06 R3 14000 mi. While out riding, I noticed that sometimes when I went over a bump, which caused my right hand to "rock " the throttle, I would hear a "clunking" sound from the power train area,, it also happens during a roll on and off if I catch up to my buddies too quickly,, any ideas??:confused:
Just sounds like transmission backlash to me. Happens on mine too occasionally - and I am investigating. May I ask if/what mod's you've done? - Filters/zorsts/tune etc. Secondaries in/out/disabled?.

prevoius owner had TORs, cat elinator and tunes, I put stock pipes back on ( because of noise,,,getting old I guess ) retuned by dealer with Triumph 20227. however I am thinking about griproatare & removing secondairies....

Is it a big job to check that???

Could just be the shock damper in the output shaft. I hear mine once in a while. Say you are idling along in first gear and hit the throttle fairly hard, you'll hear a metallic clunk on the left side of the engine. That's the damper reaching the end of it's travel (normal). If the noise is more towards the back it's probably the cush drive. Cush drive isn't to hard to check. Take out the rear wheel. I think you need a fair sized set of snap ring pliers to remove the cush drive from the rim. If I'm FOS again, today already someone please chime in.

Just pull the rear wheel off and if there is some play in the rubber cush drive its starting to wear out, mine has some play but not real bad yet. Hitting the throttle hard after slowing down is going to wear it out faster.

Back