Cleaning the Starter

Son_Of_Dog

Unfailing Millennial
Ride
08 Rocket III Touring
Today I'm taking apart the starter and cleaning it per Sparky 's recommendation in hopes of solving my intermittent issue with starting. There's oil on my Bendix, see attached picture. Is this normal?
IMG_20220911_110728_01.jpg

1. There should be no oil on the bendix drive. You need to find out where the leak is.
2. The solenoid plunger and copper contacts need to be cleaned or replaced. These tend to arc over time causing poor contact and intermittent starting.
3. Your idler gear should have 5 roller bearings separated by a plastic bearing cage. Looks like the cage pieces are missing and a roller fell out. Possibly fell apart when you took it apart.

My gut feel is that your intermittent starting issue is due to the dirty contacts on the plunger/copper contacts. If the idler bearing cage was missing from new, that could cause things to bind up also at times.

Last edited:
Maybe drain back from the oil tank caused the oil to be on the starter?
Looks like you got all the good out of that starter.
Most starters/bendix use a sprag to allow the engine to start and rev up.
If that system fails then u have the starter may be spinning at 10,000 to 12,000 rpm. Gearing from flywheel to small number of teeth on the starter

Maybe drain back from the oil tank caused the oil to be on the starter?
Looks like you got all the good out of that starter.
Most starters/bendix use a sprag to allow the engine to start and rev up.
If that system fails then u have the starter may be spinning at 10,000 to 12,000 rpm. Gearing from flywheel to small number of teeth on the starter

Back