Clean 'em up... K&N Filters

Willtill

Nitrous
Currently cleaning my three K&N 4040-1's off of my throttle bodies. They weren't too dirty but was surprised at the amount of dirt that washed out from them. Will be nice -n- pink when I get them dried and re-oiled. ;-) Once a year job... normally do it during winter but I was remiss...

Here they are soaking; with the K&N cleaning solution applied:

Also; I think I need to degrease the rear of my head and engine. Am not liking the way that the little K&N filter we are using; to encapsulate the crankcase breather tube; is misting oil all over the rear of it. I'll do that when I change the oil in it; in a month.

We (I) Need to come up with a better way of routing those crankcase gases away from the rear of the engine... that little K&N gets plugged up with oil... and just simply makes a mess of things.

A couple of years ago; I was trying out various pieces of rubber tubing/hose; I still am planning on ditching that little K&N all together and routing a suitably formed hose toward the ground... in an effort to dissipate those oily gases away from any parts on the bike.

You can use a 1/2" tube (if memory serves) and rout it up through the old breather box and attach the filter inside the box. Any condensate will drain back down the hose and any mist is captured in the breather box.

You can use a 1/2" tube (if memory serves) and rout it up through the old breather box and attach the filter inside the box. Any condensate will drain back down the hose and any mist is captured in the breather box.

Can't use the breather box... my coolant catch can and my 16 cell Ballistic Lithium battery occupies that space.

What I had wanted to do a couple of years ago; was to route a hose straight up; and as high as possible from the crankcase ventilation tube; and then angle that hose downwards towards the right side of the rear tire. My theory was that oil condensate would still drain back into the crankcase; and mist would just be dissipated while underway.

My boggle towards that solution was that I could not find any adequately pre-formed hose that would have the right 180 degree bend in it. I just don't want to use any hose and try to bend it; for fear that it could collapse and plug up; then I'm blowing a seal out of my crankcase from somewhere else; due to internal crankcase pressures.

Can't use the breather box... my coolant catch can and my 16 cell Ballistic Lithium battery occupies that space.

What I had wanted to do a couple of years ago; was to route a hose straight up; and as high as possible from the crankcase ventilation tube; and then angle that hose downwards towards the right side of the rear tire. My theory was that oil condensate would still drain back into the crankcase; and mist would just be dissipated while underway.

My boggle towards that solution was that I could not find any adequately pre-formed hose that would have the right 180 degree bend in it. I just don't want to use any hose and try to bend it; for fear that it could collapse and plug up; then I'm blowing a seal out of my crankcase from somewhere else; due to internal crankcase pressures.

You don't need pre-formed if you have a coil spring you can slide either over or into the tube. Internal guarantees no collapse and you can bend it into a corkscrew.

You don't need pre-formed if you have a coil spring you can slide either over or into the tube. Internal guarantees no collapse and you can bend it into a corkscrew.

Hmmm. That's an option I didn't consider... I have a coil spring around the fuel line on my DR650; from tank to carb, which supposedly provides the very same purpose. Thanks!

Back