Chrome Oil Tank

pascal

.020 Over
Can anyone help me out by explaning how easy/difficult the oil tank replacement is? I'd like to buy the chrome version but before doing so, I'd like to evaluate the workload and have some hints:)...

Thanks

I know you will have to remove the throttle bodies, I believe that is the biggest hassle though. The oil tank has two long tubes that go into the motor. You'll probably want to put new seals in where these tubes go in as well. Also, make sure you have the right tank for you VIN because there was a change in late 06/07

I peeked at the factory service manual and the 1st line under Oil Tank Removal reads as follows
1. Remove the throttle bodies. (see page 11-123)

WOW. Didn't see that coming.

If you need to see the book before you go for it, I can fax the pages if it will help.

Thanks, feel sorry since I stopped page 9-5!!
I'll definitely go for it, even with the throttle body hassle, did it before...nerving but doeable..

Greetings

I don't know how much trust I would put in to the manual, the procedure for lifting the fuel tank says you have to 1st remove the gauges. We all know thats a lie. I'd be willing to bet money there is a way around having to completly disassemble the fuel delivery system just to hang a new oil tank. Where there is a will there is .....
... an attorney. :D

I agree that in some instances it would.
I glanced in the schematics of the oil tank and the issue is probably the 2 upper bolts holding the tank in place. They need to be unscrewed by more than an inch and there you go, straight in the throttle bodies after 1/2 inch of unscrewing them!...

I don't know how much trust I would put in to the manual, the procedure for lifting the fuel tank says you have to 1st remove the gauges. We all know thats a lie. I'd be willing to bet money there is a way around having to completly disassemble the fuel delivery system just to hang a new oil tank. Where there is a will there is .....
... an attorney. :D

I guess that depends what year bike you have. My '07 doesn't have the hinged gauge mount. With the Rivco risers and classic bars, I have to pull both tank mounting bolts anyway to get access under the tank.

Back