Chrome in Bad Shape

TheMadScientist

Supercharged
I bought my Rocket used. It is a 2006 Standard SE. The chrome on it is in bad shape, especially under the bat wing area: risers, head light buckets, etc. When I was researching the Rockets somebody stated that Triumphs chrome sucks , that seems to be the case with the bike I bought. I love everything else about the bike.

The question I have is this: has anyone else have problems withe their chrome? I want to replace it but if I buy more Chrome from Triumph isn't the same thing going to happen?
Would I be better off having the pieces re-chromed? Are there aftermarket parts to replace the chrome?

If I buy new chrome pieces I would probably sand blast the pieces I have now and powder coat them in case I decide to change color of bike.

Thanks

Hi Mate,
Rechroming is very expensive (Here in OZ anyway). I would go down the powder coating route myself. If you dont like it.. you can always get it rechomed later.

If you are considering powdercoating the parts then why not just do the existing parts or you could rechrome them. A quality plating shop can achieve a finish that will exceed the originals.

Powdercoat the suckers ;) having said that the few bits i have left chrome on my bike seem to be holding up ok. Everything that was chrome i smeared inside with grease right from when i bought the bike , headlight shells , fender covers etc.

I guess one of the advantages of living inland and having salt free winter roads is that all the chrome on my bike is in perfect condition. It's as smooth and shiny as any bike I've seen. Even the untreated cut edge of my bear claw shows no signs of breaking down.

Mine has held up very well. Early '05 ( July 2004 )in model with 74k miles in all kinds of weather. I live several hours from any saltwater though and no salt problems on the roads here. If we ever freeze, they put down sand.

You guys should move..Cheyenne Wyo. Driest state in the nation.
Stuff don't rust here even underwater. 6500 Ft. so not much O2 either.

Just trying the new Photobucket.
How do I get to my old page 58? PIMA

Yep, it is expensive...

Hi Mate,
Rechroming is very expensive (Here in OZ anyway). I would go down the powder coating route myself. If you dont like it.. you can always get it rechomed later.

I guess I should add...GOOD chrome is expensive. If you go chrome direction, don't pick a chromer by price....the stuff that will last is gonna hurt your wallet. The chrome is one thing, but the prep underneath is what will determine how long it will last. In the past ten years or so I have become a fan of powder coat.....still you have to make sure the prep work is correct or it all turns to s**t real quick. I have seen florida cars that were worse than New England as far as rot and chrome because the salt environment (condensation) accumulated and they were outdoors and unprotected. Where and how you store your bike is important....even if you do the rechrome.

Careful of the tin...

If you are considering powdercoating the parts then why not just do the existing parts or you could rechrome them. A quality plating shop can achieve a finish that will exceed the originals.

I guess I should add that even if you do the powder coat or rechrome route, watch the prep because many parts can be damaged beyond repair by overly aggressive blasting techniques. The parts we see now are 18-20 gauge, not 14-16 like we had back in the good days. Beware of those that are not used to delicate parts when you have them sandblasted or you will have a pile of junk parts.

Back