Check Engine Light On After Washing Bike

Rogiecrockett

.020 Over
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
The title of the thread says it all.

Washed bike last night before putting it to bed inside the machine shed. Never had the light come on before and it is at 11,000 miles.

It came on after washing the bike. I did not wash the bike any differently than before. I assume something got wet and triggered the light. It was inside last night but we have had lots of rain and the humidity is staying up so it likely is not drying out completely. Rode it to work this AM, about 53 miles and the light is still on.

My main concern is that I am heading to family for a long weekend and will leave in about 4 hours - the ride will be 570 miles and I don't want any problems.

I had this on the 2013 America and after running down the road and everything drying out, the light went off.

My assumption is it is related to washing and there is nothing to be concerned about but the light is still on. The bike is running fine and there are no other noticeable sounds, clicks, pop, purrs or issues from before the light came on.

For the R3T does the check engine light always stay on until the code is cleared?

Need some help here and quickly.

Thanks,
Dave.

If I remember correctly, the light clears after 3 start/stop cycles if the problem is no longer present. Are you set up to use TuneECU?

I have a 2005 America and the electrical connections have always been an issue (I personally have never had an issue).

Whenever I am in a new area I unplug the connectors and put a light coat of dielectric grease on them.

Sounds like that might be a good idea for the Rocket.

Preventive maintenance never hurts.

Never use high pressure to wash a motorcycle, and do be careful with where you spray in any case. It is amazing where water can find itself.

Back