Check engine light on after handlebar risers installed...

kc91831

Standard Bore
Hi guys,

I just bought a used '08 R3 Touring. Being a big guy, I like to sit back in the seat, and had to add risers. All cables seemed fine except the clutch, which I re-routed behind the handlebar.

Now after about a week, the 'check engine' light came on. I was sitting at a cash machine when it came on. Since then, I've tried cycling the ignition three times, but no luck. I also tried the 12 minute tune, also no luck. Check Engine light still on...

Could this be due to something I've read on this forum about the 'idle cable?' Is there even such a thing or is it just the throttle return cable? Do I need to get more slack in the two throttle cables?

I was planning on adding Kuryakyn ISO grips while keeping the pre-existing Throttlemeister. One post here explained that in order to get it done, you have to move the throttle cable housing further up the handlerbars. I've measured, and it would be about an inch and a half. Would doing that give me enough slack on the throttle cables to fix this problem?

Is that even the problem? Should I be looking for something else? Can I plug in a code testor from the local O'Reillys/Advance Auto to get the code? Where would that plug be, under the seat? Will it need a special adaptor?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance for any input.

Kent

Head to your local auto parts store, they'll pull the DTC code for ya.

If they give you ****, just pull out the OBDII cable for them and tell them it's aight.

Once you've got the code, we'll know more.

Yes pull the code. For the three cycles to turn off the light, it has to be three cycles where the bike cools down and warms up, not just cycling the ignition.

Yes pull the code. For the three cycles to turn off the light, it has to be three cycles where the bike cools down and warms up, not just cycling the ignition.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies so far...

Sorry it took so long to get the code, it's been raining all weekend. I had to buy the code reader and bring it home... couldn't get the bike there. They allow full return within 48 hours. So I'll get my money back.

The code is:
P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)

Couldn't find that code anywhere on this forum or on TriumphRat.net.

Does this have anything to do with the neutral position sensor problems? Supposedly the bike has had the neutral sensor replaced already.

Also, how would I clear this code in the future without a code reader? I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "three cycles where the bike cools down and warms up." That could take hours!?!

Thanks again for your help!

Kent

That's your gear position sensor.

Page 11.114 in the Service Manual for the non-touring.

It's probably in the same spot on the touring though.

You can see it on the left hand side, very back of the tranny near the frame.

Black roundish thing with two screws.

Last edited:
Back