Charging System?

snuffer

.060 Over
How many amps is the charging system? Is it single phase or three phase? Is it the same on the touring models and the other models?

Thanks for any info!

It's a three phase alternator capable of 35-40 volts according to the manual, but I have no idea what the max amp output rating is.

37 amps at 2,000 rpm and 41 amps at 6,000 rpms.

I am not totally sure, but if I was guessing I would say three phase.

The output for the Touring and standard are the same, so I would say that they are the same unit on both models.

Does anyone know how many amps or watts it takes to run the bike, how much is left for fun stuff??What would 3 phase do. On home electric that means 3 lines of the same voltage and amps would be availble.

The alternator on the bike is of course alternating current (AC) the rectifier turns it into direct current (DC). Each phase is a sine wave alternating from positive to negative and a three phase has each wave in progression. The rectifier chops off the bottom of the wave with diodes so the wave doesn't change past zero and the negative doesn't get past the diodes. Three phases in progression makes the power output more consistent with less drastic pulses making more like true DC output like a battery.
Really simple ... it's a higher quality power output that is better for electronics,

I'm not an electrical engineer, so specific details are beyond me. Hope this helps answer the question 64Herald.

Tried an experiment to see what the current draw was with ignition on and high beams selected. Hooked up my fully charged battery on smart charger and verified zero amp draw with the ignition off. When I turned on the ignition, the current draw was 10 amps!!

With the factory battery only giving 18 Ah, that explains why you may only get one shot at starting the beast in cold weather. Place a 10 amp draw on the battery before even attempting starting and there is going to be some voltage drop that may keep the ECU from getting valid sensor readings.

Odyssey PC545 MJ and Ultimizer charger fixed that problem.

I think Triumph needs to wire in a delay timer on the headlights so they don't come on until the engine is started. The Stratoliners have this built in and it makes a lot of sense. Surely somebody makes a delay-on relay that we could just plug in between the factory headlight relay . . . .

Thanks for the info. So all 3 phases are putting out juice at the same time, eliminating the pulses that an AC unit produces making a more DC look then an AC. Now if the bike is drawing 10 amp (approx 120watts) that leaves approx 280 watts left for all the dudads. Thats not very much to run heated gear or extra lights. So the next step to get more amps is to install the old bicycle generator that ran on the tire....or carry a gas generator on the rear rack. Do the goldwings and HD put out more amps then a Triumph does?
As to my poor little Herald, let me tell you about power, If you were going up hill at night you had to shut off the lights so you would have enough power to make it to the top with out everyone getting out and pushing.LOL. with an amazing 36hp and a 5.5 gal gas tank it was made for shopping only. but if you fulled up the trunk(boot) you better be going down hill.

I remember my dad saying his 02 gl1800 goldwing puts out 380w and has a floating ground (dont remember what that means though)

Back