changing tires when i get home.

jcb7469

.060 Over
Ride
2010 rocket 3 touring
So im planning on changing my tires when i get home. Front wheel removal seems pretty straight forward. Rear wheel while its more steps is do able. I actually wound up removing it when i changed the brake pads. My concern is lubing the drive shaft. Will i need any special tools? I know i need a grease with a high amount of moly but any special left handed ratcheting skyhooks?Are there any videos i could watch? I have been searching youtube and havent really seen anything. Also i downloaded idk's manuals and am bery greatful but does anyone know of an aftermarket manual i could buy? It wont be till febuary or march until i get home but i can at least start studying now

Shouldn't need anything other than a torque wrench. The service manual (somebody here has a link to it) has the torque settings and tightening order of the 4 nuts holding the bevel box on. Only tricky thing is getting the drive shaft to enter into the input of the bevel box. A length of stiff wire is helpful for that.

The service manual says to do so as well, makes sure the output is properly aligned with the swingarm. The nuts need tightened in two rounds.

Hook it under the drive shaft and use it to move the shaft into alignment while sliding the bevel box on, once you have the splines entered, pull the wire out before pushing the bevel housing home.

And as suggested by the esteemed Rocket Scientist himself snug the 4 bolts up lightly then tighten the axle before torquing the 4 bolts. This ensures that the axle is aligned and not pulling on the wheel bearings.

THIS IS A LITTLE WRONG
U SHOULD HAVE THE SHAFT IN IT To align it up but u should tighten the four bolts up before u tighten the axle. it u tighten the axle first then when u tighten the four bolts it will bend the tube. also tighten the four bolts in the order that the manual says.

You do not need any special wires to pick the drive shaft up with the differential you can just rotate and lift it will come up find and align up the spline easy. Just did mine in fact the axle is not torqued yet on the new tire. You might as well change the rear lube while your at it. It uses so little I change mine every other oil change anyway.

Back