Changing front fork springs?

T Evans

Supercharged
Has anyone tackled changing out their front fork springs? After my last trip of 1200 miles over in Arkansas last weekend. I found my front forks bottoming out on me several times. The Progressive front springs I understand are the choice of most everyone.
Is this a project that someone can do at home with out any special tools or is this a job best left to the pro's?

Thanks guys

Big T

Changed mine a few weeks ago. The hardest part was to use a magnet with a long extension to fish the washer and old spring out which was no big deal. Just make sure you install the new Progressive springs the right way according to the directions.

Can you change out the springs with out having to remove the forks from the bike? Does it require any special tools?

Thanks

Big T

Yes you can do it without removing the forks and no special tools. It would be easier if you can do it with the weight of the front if possible, I use a paddock stand from Flipmeisters, and be sure to lay a nice soft thick blanket over the tank to lay the handle bars on. I don't think it took me an hour taking my time. Also if you have not done it you might want to think about some Progressive 440 shocks for the rear. I was lucky they had a special if you bought the rears they gave you the front springs for free. My wife used to hate riding on the stock suspension and she found a big difference in the ride since I changed the front and back. Handles better too.

Back