Changing brake fluid on ABS bike?

mully95

Living Legend
Ride
Roadster
I'm in the process of changing out the brake fluid on my Roadster with ABS. I was hoping to get ALL the fluid out and replace with new. In order to do so from my understanding I will need to bleed the ABS and that requires activating the solenoids in the ABS.
I was wondering if this works with my Roadster ABS? It states "ALL Triumphs now supported" but the guide only shows Sprint and Tiger. I have emailed the developer but have not got a reply. Just want to make sure before I order something and can't use it.

http://dealertoolcouk.ipage.com/default.htm

Well it seems I'm the only one that has made a attempt to change their brake fluid out on a Roadster.....lol

Shame.. shame... it's supposed to be changed out ever 2 yrs.

DealerTool replied to my question last night and they said my bike is supported.

"Yes the ABS system on your model is supported.

kind regards

DT "

Last edited:
Glad to hear that it is supported I would hate to see you have to go to a dealer to get it changed. That's one of the reasons I have steered away from the Roadster. That and I have broke so many bones I need floor boards for my old arse:)

I don't understand this, but have been told ECU reset is necessary after messing with the brake fluid. I have bled mine in a normal manner with no ECU issues. I am also due for a two year flush and curious about what the REAL deal about this is. I also wonder if this can be done with Tune ECU?

No reset on ecu.
Need triumph tool to operate abs solenoid when doing a flush.
Tuneecu does not have this function.

No reset on ecu.
Need triumph tool to operate abs solenoid when doing a flush.
Tuneecu does not have this function.

Thank you mucho!
Was I supposed to use this "tool" when I bled my rear brakes?

Thank you mucho!
Was I supposed to use this "tool" when I bled my rear brakes?
Only if it threw the abs light is my understanding from the mech at local dealer, then the tool is needed to reset solenoid. If your abs light comes on with key and goes out when you start rolling then your good to go.

Only if it threw the abs light is my understanding from the mech at local dealer, then the tool is needed to reset solenoid. If your abs light comes on with key and goes out when you start rolling then your good to go.

Cool!
Guess I was lucky, since I've had to do it twice.
For some unknown reason the rear system develops air bubbles.
Me thinks it is likely because I use the rear brakes so seldom, usually only for light trail braking in the twisties.
Do you have an actual name and/or part number so I get one of these tools?

I don't understand this, but have been told ECU reset is necessary after messing with the brake fluid. I have bled mine in a normal manner with no ECU issues. I am also due for a two year flush and curious about what the REAL deal about this is. I also wonder if this can be done with Tune ECU?

I'm going to PM you a link for the entire read up on this manner. It's from a "sister" Triumph forum and I don't believe the mods would like it if I posted it here.

Glad to hear that it is supported I would hate to see you have to go to a dealer to get it changed. That's one of the reasons I have steered away from the Roadster. That and I have broke so many bones I need floor boards for my old arse:)

I believe you can mount floor boards on the Roadster..... I've seen a few others ask to trade out the floor boards for Roadster pegs or just asking for floor boards so I assume it can be done.

Well my extended warranty runs out in 2015 so instead of taking it to the dealer and showing proof of maintenance I'm starting to do it myself. I changed the oil and filter, changed the bevel box oil, changed the gas filter, going to change the radiator fluid (50% antifreeze 50% distilled water) and going to renew the brake fluid. Also going to balance the throttle bodies, and check the plugs. I changed the plugs not long ago but I will still check them. Might change those anyways.

Two things that might be over my head. Headstock bearing check and lubrication. And fork oil change. I know with the front tire off the ground my steering is VERY free. I don't think there is any movement up and down but the steering seems to have NO resistance. Sometimes I get a wobble at 40 mph. If I let go of the handlebars is really starts to shake left and right..... not up and down. I had a sportbike that did this and I tightened up the headstock bearing. Took it for a test drive and the wobble was gone. I don't want to over tighten it but if it cures the problem I'm all for it.

Back