Changed tune on '06 Classic, and now issues/questions

DQDude

.040 Over
Ride
2006 Rocket III
Well doing my best to sort out an issue which I drilled down to a bad primary TPS. Being I was due for some routine maintenance, I replaced the plugs. They looked like the motor has been running lean. Being that when I got the bike, it had the cat box eliminated and after market pipes which now have no baffles, I could see that the tune maybe off. So used Tune ECU found the tune had been changed to address the cat removal and use of after market silencers. However, these are basically straight pipes. Found a better suited tune. So... install and adjusted the TPS, and idle speed controller to the instructions on the TUNE ECU. Dropped in the tune and took her on out.
Issues... idle is low, she will stall out at stops, slightly rough at low engine speeds and the decel pops are worse than before.
I am starting to wonder if my throttle may have been stuck open a bit when I did the TPS and Idle control adjustments.
I did run her after the fuel filter and plugs before my TPS came in, so I'm 100% sure that those items are not the issue.
Do I release my adjustment on my throttle cables and re check the TPS? With the tune, guess some advice would be helpful as well, but may need to ask that under the tune posts. Any wise suggestions?
Also...i did notice my throttle bodies may need to be adjusted.. 1 and 3 are identical, 2 is 10 points lower.

Well doing my best to sort out an issue which I drilled down to a bad primary TPS. Being I was due for some routine maintenance, I replaced the plugs. They looked like the motor has been running lean. Being that when I got the bike, it had the cat box eliminated and after market pipes which now have no baffles, I could see that the tune maybe off. So used Tune ECU found the tune had been changed to address the cat removal and use of after market silencers. However, these are basically straight pipes. Found a better suited tune. So... install and adjusted the TPS, and idle speed controller to the instructions on the TUNE ECU. Dropped in the tune and took her on out.
Issues... idle is low, she will stall out at stops, slightly rough at low engine speeds and the decel pops are worse than before.
I am starting to wonder if my throttle may have been stuck open a bit when I did the TPS and Idle control adjustments.
I did run her after the fuel filter and plugs before my TPS came in, so I'm 100% sure that those items are not the issue.
Do I release my adjustment on my throttle cables and re check the TPS? With the tune, guess some advice would be helpful as well, but may need to ask that under the tune posts. Any wise suggestions?
Also...i did notice my throttle bodies may need to be adjusted.. 1 and 3 are identical, 2 is 10 points lower.
Did you try reinstalling the original tune to see how it acted? What was the old tune's idle set at, and what about the new tune?

Did you try reinstalling the original tune to see how it acted? What was the old tune's idle set at, and what about the new tune?
No, I haven't reinstalled the original back yet. It is saved, as for the value, is it listed in the MAP file? On the tach it was right about 900 RPM. This tune on the tach is closer to 800 and not very smooth.

I agree with Steel throw the old tune back in her and see if she runs better. Also your throttle cables do they both have 2-3mm freeplay/slop so they are not working against each other. The pull cable freeplay/slop is checked at the hand grip. The return cable freeplay/slop is checked down at the throttle body. They should be check first before performing the ISCV reset.

No, I haven't reinstalled the original back yet. It is saved, as for the value, is it listed in the MAP file? On the tach it was right about 900 RPM. This tune on the tach is closer to 800 and not very smooth.
On the left side the tab right above 2nd throttle is the idle tab. You can set different idle speeds for different temperatures to keep her running while she warms up.

On the left side the tab right above 2nd throttle is the idle tab. You can set different idle speeds for different temperatures to keep her running while she warms up.
The idle issue is present even after she is up to temp. I'll still take a look see.
Thanks!

Please tell us what tune number you installed.

Also look at the idle setting in the tune. You can change the idle rpm in the tune and re-download it.

I used to run a version of 20050 for several years. It worked well for me. I actually have 17 different versions of 20050 in my TuneECU library. Send me a PM with your email address and we can talk about your version. Also maybe time to move to a version of 20228 tune.

Bill.

Back