Change your own rear tire?

Freightbusters

Supercharged
Have you changed your own R3 rear tire??? I have the service book...does not seem like a big deal....the cost of removing tire put new on and balance is 45 bucks....by the dealer....

Bring your own tire/rim is 25 bucks??? for balance and put on and removal.

Should I remove the old tire myself??

I am 92 now and bending is my only limitation..otherwise I still get to 60 in 2.8 seconds.....

Freightbusters

In my opinion . . . its worth the 25 bucks. Those Metzlers are a beeotch to get off. Taking the wheel off an putting back on is simple.

I'll 2nd that. The guy who changed my tire had a look of hate in his eyes when I picked up my tire from having it changed. He said it was a mother f-er.

NO! If you can get it removed from the bike and mounted for 45. Hell NO! don't go through the hassle for the $20 difference! It ain't worth the struggle.

I have a manual tire changing apparatus (Harbor Fright) with a high dollar pry bar supposedly designed for easy motorcycle tire removal. That was a waste of money. With all that I still followed the crowd and ended up cutting it off. Fortunately the wife's dremel kit had a couple cut-off wheels. And a bolt cutter was used to get through the bead:(

Dismounting the wheel from the bike, and putting it back on, is rather simple but is it worth $20. Probably not.

Last edited:
Your inputs are important!!!

Looks like having the dealer pull the wheel, take off the old rubber put on the new rubber , balance , put back on the bike and say the prayer!!!! Then I will go with the 45 bucks...thanks for the inputs!!!

freightbusters and that 9 is a 6!!

A word about the Dyno-Beads

Hey everyone, even though the Dyno Beads are extremely small in diameter, they won't pass through the valve stems on the Rocket. Apparently the 90 degree style of the stems has an "even smaller" diameter air passage and the beads will not make the turn. They will work on standard valve stems (so the instructions say). Be sure to get the beads and weigh them out (weight chart per tire size on-line) before having the tire mounted so the installer has them to put in before inflation. I provided my installer with a small funnel and about 12 inches of tubing slipped on to allow the beads to be poured into the tire as it lay on the mounting machine (horizontal).

Just a little FYI.

See ya.

Back