Change my own oil and filter at 500 miles...?

Willtill

Nitrous
..or let the dealer do it for a couple of hundred dollars?

I do all of my own maintenance on my bikes. It's a no-brainer to change the Rocket's oil and filter.

There's the hassle of making an appointment; getting the time off from work to drop it off, getting a ride back from the dealer and getting a ride to pick it up when it's done.

Or I can do it all myself with less than $40.00 and a six pack of beer in my driveway; at my pace and leisure...

What you say?

Kindest regards,

-Will

I have the dealer do the first oil change just so its on record as being done and it dosent take that long but that being said my dealer is outstanding in the customer service aspect when I had my first service they gave me a new thunderbird to test drive while they worked on my rocket and they gave me the deal of the century on the price of the first service :D but thats me , I would still have a dealer do the first oil change just so its on record .

I would do it myself. My local dealer now charges over $200 for the first service. Even if you buy the Mobil 4T you can do it for less than half.

I do mine (dealer did first service) now. I have a bike lift (shop style) that makes it a snap to do. I also change the rear dif fluid at the same time.

Do it yourself and save $

I use an oil extractor that's hooked up to my air compressor. Never been easier. I pulled the plugs just to see how much was left. There was about half a quart. The next change I won't worry about the residual.

I'm an Amsoil fanatic. My research leads me that way. Do it yourself with Amsoil with a stock filter for 85. I use a Scotts permafilter and believe in it as well. Granted, U have to plan on years of service to recoup the initial cost.

Last edited:
Well, after much thought and consideration; I made an appointment with the Triumph dealer in Frederick to perform the initial service. Want to get this one service on record for warranty purposes, if a need ever arose within the first 10K miles.

Going to query the mechanics about the abnormal amounts of deodorization of the exhaust manifolds as well, maybe they can check the fueling for each cylinder and make sure all is correct.

....next oil change, I am doing. For sure.

Kindest regards,

-Will

I did my first one. Even at $9.50 a quart for the Mobil 1 4T, it was much cheaper than the dealership doing it, and I trust my mechanic skills better than someone I don't know anyway. Now the 10,000 mile service I may have the dealership do some of, just because I'm pretty sure I don't want to get into valve train adjustments...

Back