CES Headers and Exhaust - HOT!

germ79

The Guy That Asks All The Questions
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster
Fellas, I’m loving my Rocket now that the weather has turned and I’m finally able to ride! I’ve been able to spend some time in the saddle and, while I am loving most everything about it, BOY, the heat from the headers and exhaust is intense!

I don’t feel the heat is radiating as much as it is just the air rushing over the exhaust and the hot air getting whipped right up to my right thigh. Am I imagining this? I can’t believe at 80mph on the highway that the air just wouldn’t cool the exhaust.

Anyone have this experience and, if so, any ideas to help?

In ride in a pair of Rokker jeans, so it isn’t unbearable, but is quite noticeable!

Thank you!

Having it tuned will help if you haven’t yet. A little heat is going to be a fact of life living with headers, but at 88f on the freeway you shouldn’t be uncomfortable.

Anyone have this experience and, if so, any ideas to help?
In ride in a pair of Rokker jeans, so it isn’t unbearable, but is quite noticeable!
Are the Rokker full lined? - If so I am surprised much heat is getting through - except maybe at ankles.

One solution would be to get a set of riding gaiters (Half-Chaps I think is the US term) Leather is an excellent heat insulator. I know a few guys do this - and I have a set "in case".

Another (aesthetically less pleasing but VERY effective) is to affix some firewall insulation material (aluminium coated fibreglass) to the inside right leg. Either a strap-on system or actually rivet the stuff on. This was my solution (rivets) on my normal biking lowers. It is NOT pretty but works.

Having it tuned will help if you haven’t yet. A little heat is going to be a fact of life living with headers, but at 88f on the freeway you shouldn’t be uncomfortable.

It was dynotuned by a triumph dealership here in Michigan, so I ASSume that’s not it - but I’m no expert.

I’d guess you looked up the weather here, as it was about 88° or so. That’s what I kept telling myself, too, that I shouldn’t get hot at 80mph. It truly felt like the air was just blowing right up on the inside/underside of my thigh and my right butt cheek. It was weird. My lower leg didn’t get too hot, actually. I did have mid-height boots on. The jeans definitely resist heat - my leg periodically touches the exhaust and it isn’t too hot.

I do have forward controls, so my legs are not bent at a 90° angle - it’s a wider angle.

I think the forward controls are the difference. I have the same set up, but on a roadster and cruising along last weekend, 95f I only noticed the heat parked or putting along in trafic.

Oh there’s the problems(s).

Do you have a power commander on your bike?

Forward Controls - It’s just the nature of forward controls on a Rocket.

I do have a power commander.

Here’s a pic to give y’all an idea of exactly what I’m talking about.

1384BE6A-31A8-4551-A913-B09C44DD151C.jpeg

Back