Ceramic Coating Viking Exhaust

buddazero

.060 Over
Ride
Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster 2018
Hey everyone,

So, I’m getting my exhaust headers ceramic coated. They’ve been running super hot, I even got the bike Dyno Tuned and the guy did manage to lower the temp, but it’s still uncomfortable (at least for me from someone who lives in the city). I spoke to Paul about ceramic coating and he told me that they’re ceramic coated on the inside, so I guess this will be an external application.

Because there’s chrome on the outside, they’ll have to chemically strip it, but won’t guarantee that the plugs will hold to stop the acid (or whatever it is) from getting on the inside.

This legit ceramic shop I’m speaking too claims they rarely heard of anyone doing ceramic coating on the inside of exhaust headers. My question is, is this a sign that I should look else where?

When asked if they could coat inside they said “it’s a wet application our ceramic coating so we’ll try.” The process to strip the chrome will take 3 weeks, then the ceramic about another 2 or 3 weeks for the coating, curing, etc.

My other last resort would be to have Paul make a shielding piece that goes from the stock headers, to the twin muffler system, and then maybe sale the Viking headers. But I haven’t heard from him.

Have you considered wrapping the headers to see if that helps? Might be a less expensive / less permanent solution than stripping the chrome.

My BS detector needle is right over in the red. The inside coating is a heat-reducing film, different to the outside. That's why Paul does it. It's a common application.

The bit about taking weeks to do it is utter crap. Suggest you look elsewhere.

I had a different set of headers done inside and out same day. Heat-reducing inside, chrome - ceramic outside.

And they'll still burn a hole in your jeans if you lean against 'em!

If you reckon the headers are too hot, maybe you ought to be looking at a different cure? Get yourself an infra-red detector, they're not expensive - and check the temps as compared to other bikes. Changing the external coat from chrome to ceramic will make very little difference to heat.

Last edited:
My BS detector needle is right over in the red. The inside coating is a heat-reducing film, different to the outside. That's why Paul does it. It's a common application.

The bit about taking weeks to do it is utter crap. Suggest you look elsewhere.

I had a different set of headers done inside and out same day. Heat-reducing inside, chrome - ceramic outside.

If you reckon the headers are too hot, maybe you ought to be looking at a different cure? Get yourself an infra-red detector, they're not expensive - and check the temps as compared to other bikes. Changing the external coat from chrome to ceramic will make very little difference to heat.

I just spoke with Jet-Hot High Performance Coatings, not only did they give me a better quote, but the chrome stripping is a breeze for them, they said its $50 bucks as oppose to what the guys over here said $300. And when I said if they do ceramic coating inside and out, they were like "yeah that's what we do it's standard." And when they ship the headers back to me it's free!

This place seems to good to be true, gonna do some more research, but from looking at the forums they seem to be legit.

I'm excited to go forward with these guys, one thing the guy said was that if I go for the highest, that being 3500, it's only one color which I think is polish. My headers are chrome, wonder what it'll look like. Or maybe I understood him incorrectly.

Should I just go for the 2500 cause that comes with Satin Black, or go with the highest 3500 just so I can be sure?

They seem to be off now, I'll give them a call back before I send the parts off.

Last edited:
Just as a matter of interest, I use www.hpcoatings.co.nz
The Chemist that formed this coating (which was developed by the US Military for coating Jet Turbine Blades) went on to sell the Company then formed a new company called Jet Hot Coatings.

And as Ruzzle says above, the ceramic coating is internal, with either a Polished Aluminium, Satin Black or chrome plate external finish.

I've been out of the loop recently as I ripped the tendon off my R/H knee cap hence not getting back to Kenny re the additional header to muffler cover, I've since caught up with him on this.

As we know heat is either lean, .... or constant low speed (minimal air flow) riding.
As Kenny has said, he is riding in the City where there is a lot of stop and go, low speed riding with minimal air flow.
Perhaps the 3500 coating would be more applicable in this instance.

I've seen the Dyno sheet, but not sure that I've seen the fuel/air ratio chart.
Kenny may have sent that to me to have a look at, I'm still catching up on everything.
The tuner that he took the bike too "seamed" O.K. with a good reputation but I don't know exactly what he has done.
Possibly the tune is still off, I don't know.
We have all seen/heard of bikes that were "tuned" properly by a professional shop, but the end result was absolutely useless, so I don't know there.
I've just looked at the Dyno sheet, Max power is only 145 RWHP, this surprises me, I would have expected more than this, so perhaps the tune is still off.

Last edited:
Back